Discuss Please help smart people! Battery and cooking simple question... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to read. I am hoping that this will be a very easy question for knowledgeable guys and girls like yourselves.

My question is short and sweet;

Could I run an electrical hot plate off of a large battery source? I have included links at the bottom giving examples of what I am talking about.

I know that using batteries for heating and cooking is difficult but with a battery this size is it possible and how long do you think a charge would last?

Thanks a lot

From a humble electrical idiot!

Links below in case the above doesn't work

Product like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-WORLD-H...&ie=UTF8&qid=1541600652&sr=1-6&keywords=1200w

Power supply...

Salicru 662AA000013 SALICRU SPS.ONE SPS.2000.ONE Shop UK : Ballicom.co.uk : Buy - https://www.ballicom.co.uk/salicru-662aa000013-.p1399484.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KThBO8DW669Hc26OMox1Hu80QFcqk2HeGM3siq3jSlrRlfbvj6jgkxoCAigQAvD_BwE

Hi Nick, welcome to the forums.

It may help with the correct advice if you could elaborate on the context you're planning on using this in.

Not sure that combo are really made for each other...
The electric BBQ thingy is unremarkable (except for the awful grammar etc) but the other thingy seems to be an Uninterrupted Power Supply typically for keeping computer systems running when the mains power suffers an outage. I doubt if it would power the BBQ for long...also think you would need to check that the O/S of the BBQ is compatible...

Put a big enough battery on you can do what ever you want. However with that set up I doubt the plate would even get hot enough before the UPS dies. Also the UPS won't be designed for constant charge and discharge cycles which will further reduce battery capacity over a period of time.

I can't see why it wouldn't work. However by my calculations...
battery AH=2000VA/230v = 8.69 (ish)

Load of hotplate 1200w/230v = 5.2A

so you should get around 8.96/5.2 = 1.67 hrs of run time.....
BUT due to power factors etc realistically run time would be less, more like 1.2hrs (ish).

One thing puzzles me, on the basic specification of the UPS, run time 20 mins? Surely this depends on the size of load?

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong!

Hmm...it says up to 20 minutes support back-up...that's where you phone the support number and they keep you holding for 19 minutes then tell you that you need to pay for support after that!
Seriously, specifications should be precise and informative, unambiguous and genuinely useful. Also, I get fed up with seeing nice pictures of a product, then see in small print that what you might actually receive may well differ from the picture...seems they could send you a UPS shaped like a turkey if they wanted too...
Still, maybe it would cook itself for christmas if the mains went down...

Thanks for your help everyone so far.

My plan is to use it for cooking when out and about, like a portable clean BBQ.

We use a plancha (the hot plate thing) at home and they are great but was just interested re somehow making it mobile.

Point taken about the power source not being intended for something like this but I couldn't find any alternative.

Any suggestions for a powerful, rechargeable battery source used in this capacity?

Thanks again for your help

I can't see why it wouldn't work. However by my calculations...
battery AH=2000VA/230v = 8.69 (ish)

Load of hotplate 1200w/230v = 5.2A

so you should get around 8.96/5.2 = 1.67 hrs of run time.....
BUT due to power factors etc realistically run time would be less, more like 1.2hrs (ish).

One thing puzzles me, on the basic specification of the UPS, run time 20 mins? Surely this depends on the size of load?

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong!

Thanks so much for your detailed reply... the internet is a wonderful place at times!!

Honestly, if it's for camping use etc I'd opt for a generator. Google "suitcase generator" or simply "portable generator" for a huge range.
You need to choose carefully though.
Bonus is that you have a handy backup for the home too...

UPS states a capacity of 1200w/2000VA however I would suspect that to be the battery capacity which would not be a true reflection of available power due to loss through the inverter. Hence to 20 minute back up time.

Spec. of PSU says 1200W not 1200W/hr. 1200W is the max. continuous power that the PSU can supply, and the spec. further says "up to 20 minutes" (=1/3 of an hour).
Therefore the capacity of the unit is 1200/3 = 400w/hr at best.
As strima said in an earlier post, it will die before it barely gets hot.

IMHO it's a non strarter, back to the drawing board. you have to bear in mind that a 10A current draw @ 240V is 200A @ 12V.my lady's car has an inverter and a BS1363 socket. @12V it's protected by a 10A fuse.that gives a 240V output of 500mA. so her hair dryer is a no go.

Yup, PEG...I saw what you did there!
Anyway, the "plancha" runs Linux, so is incompatible with the UPS.
Tel, accurate as ever! It amazes me that folks think they can get more out than they put in...
(I'm going to regret that comment!)

Reply to Please help smart people! Battery and cooking simple question... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net