Discuss Please help switches keep melting. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rhodey

DIY
Reaction score
Sorry if this is long winded but I need help figuring out the electrics on a go kart I've built the kids.

It's a 24v 240w motor powered by 2 12v 7ah SLA batteries wired in series, 24v speed controller brought from ebay, 6 pin forward / reverse switch, cordless drill trigger attached to foot pedal for throttle. The go kart works fine apart from keeps melting the 6 pin switch and throttle switch. I used about 4 different makes models but keep melting even though there rated at 16a which I thought would be enough.

Electrics baffle me so as basic explanation as possible please, my late father was an electrician so he would sort it for me normally but now I don't know where to go.

Is the a device I can put in the circuit that can limit the amps to stop the melting issue.

Thanks

Simply 240W divided by 24V is 10A....
however, to get a motor running, the start up current could be 3 times that.
Thanks for the reply, would a relay work? I can find the same switches capable of 30a.

I've tried looking up the answers on Internet and other forums but people seem to relish in replying with technical answers as to prove a point they know and I don't etc.

As per littlespark, starting currents will be well over 10A. Also are the switches rated for DC? switching DC is much harder on a switch than AC. In addition a motor is inductive this means that there could be higher voltages at switch off which could cause arcing at the switch. A 30A DC relay sounds much more suitable to me.

Can you post a sketch of the wiring? If there is a speed controller involved then I would not expect the switch to be switching the main motor load.
It should be simply commanding the speed controller to run.

So the potentiometer is linked to the throttle pedal right? Why is there a throttle switch in the feed to the motor?

Great idea building the go kart by the way!

It was a trigger from a cordless drill, I made a pedal that when pushed presses it in to act as throttle.

i can understand the sketch.

have you any instructions for the controller?
if not, can you send some pics of the control terminals?

presumably 3 are used for the speed potentiometer.
are there any others? especially interested in any that have a link wire between them.

I'm with you now, sorry. I thought the potentiometer was the throttle control. I missed the bit where you said it was to limit maximum speed.

I'm with you now, sorry. I thought the potentiometer was the throttle control. I missed the bit where you said it was to limit maximum speed.

i think the pot is attached to the pedal to act as throttle, with a switch to enable power to motor??

i didnt think it was a seperate max speed limit pot.

Some more picutes all made from scrap parts. The steering the bits from a mobility scooter, wheels from old bikes, the steering wheel is a pulley from a washing machine. Cost me about £29 so far.

Some more picutes all made from scrap parts. The steering the bits from a mobility scooter, wheels from old bikes, the steering wheel is a pulley from a washing machine. Cost me about £29 so far.

I think its great, hope we can help in getting it working for you.

i think the pot is attached to the pedal to act as throttle, with a switch to enable power to motor??

i didnt think it was a seperate max speed limit pot.

I thought that. But read post #10. I think the pot is additional to the throttle.

All made from scrap parts I had, the steering wheel is a pulley from a washing machine, old bikes etc cost me about £29 so far.
Please help switches keep melting. IMG_20200630_203920 - EletriciansForums.netPlease help switches keep melting. IMG_20200630_203909 - EletriciansForums.netPlease help switches keep melting. IMG_20200630_203848 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1593547678[/automerge]
The pot limits overall speed and the throttle pedal was just an on off switch really.

Reply to Please help switches keep melting. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock