Discuss please help telephone and broadband new build annix wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

714gold714

Hello there
Currently first fixing a small annix building basically customer is having this annix built in the garden and is requiring 2 BT telephone points and would like to be able to use internet broadband from both points.
My question is do I run a telephone cable from existing house to new annix and also run a cat 5 from router in existing house or is there a easier way?

All help appreciated

The broadband will be fed from the router via CAT 5, unless they go for 2 telephone lines and a separate router in the annex - which is very unlikely. As monkey says, run spares while it's easy to do so. Daz

wireless ? - I know it does not help you but why bother wiring anything for broadband or even phones. Only reason to cable nowadays is for AV

Domestic broadband router may not provide enough wifi signal to get good reception at the back of the garden.

Every rewire i do i recommend wiring cat5 everywhere all back to a central location, to tv points, places where a computer may be or anywhere really, its so cheap and easy to run, all you need is one router and patch panel then to your points for whatever you need and put in wireless access points if its a big place and the signal is weak

My Dad bought some device for his motorhome, about 70 quid, got a big anenna (or if youre German saying it in english, " un-tunna")on it, picks up WiFi for hundreds of metres around...I was sceptical until he showed me, it picked up about 20 different signals, its proported to be for motorhomers so they can login into wifi provided for them but I can see it might be used otherwise.....

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad bought some device for his motorhome, about 70 quid, got a big anenna (or if youre German saying it in english, " un-tunna")on it, picks up WiFi for hundreds of metres around...I was sceptical until he showed me, it picked up about 20 different signals, it proprted to be for motorhomers so they can login into wifi provided for them but I can see it might be used otherwise.....
What a great idea!

Any wireless equipment that has a removable antenna can have it's performance improved by using a higher gain antenna although doing this may mean it is operating at a greater EIRP than allowed by the regulations

Reply to please help telephone and broadband new build annix wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock