Discuss please help! wired a 2.5kw ac into a oven circuit and breaker. is this ok? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I just installed a new hitachi 2.5 kw ac and wired it into an old cooker switch which goes to a breaker of 32amps.
the unit
Hitachi Summit RAK-25PEB 2.5kW Inverter Split Wall Mounted Air Conditioning System Aircon247.com | discount portable air conditioning, fixed air conditioning, easy install air conditioning. - https://www.aircon247.com/p/9062864/hitachi-summit-rak-25peb-25kw-inverter-split-wall-mounted-air-conditioning-system.html
the unit works perfectly but the outdoor unit is making and electrical hum. did I do the wrong thing here??

Hi there are all of your test results from the circuit in question ok? Generally air con units do make a little noise

Hi there are all of your test results from the circuit in question ok? Generally air con units do make a little noise

The OP says in his intro post that he's a DIYer, not an electrician, so not sure what test equipment he has.
I'm sure he will let us know.

hi thank you for the replies.. the circuit is fine, it had an oven running off it for years. I don't think theres much point adding pics as theres not really much to show you guys.. its floor mounted, the wiring is all done correctly, sleeved the earths etc. will rewire it today just to make sure that there not a loose connection.

the thing I was most worried about is that the breaker amperage may be too high, but I used a higher rated wire from the switch to the ac than was needed. and was told that it would need its own breaker because of the initial spike when it first powers on. although its recommended to be on a 16amp breaker. but tbh I don't wanna have to get an electrician in since I have a this circuit accessible and unused..

any advice appreciated! thanks again!
and no im not an electrician :)

Hi Jimmy,
I'm afraid it's not ok. A cooker circuit with 32A mcb is not ok for this appliance.

Read the installation details it will tell you this.

I would strongly advise expert help. As in get an electrician in, not ask on a forum where we cannot know all the facts without a site visit.

If the circuit has had an oven running on it for years it may be in need of testing to ensure it is still safe for continued use.

You would be amazed how many times we hear people say I now the circuit is find because it's worked for X number of years. They must have X-ray vision or a crystal ball to know this.

Just because something works functionally does not mean it is safe, fault free or is up to minimal standards. Only testing can tell you that.

The OP says in his intro post that he's a DIYer, not an electrician, so not sure what test equipment he has.
I'm sure he will let us know.
Not to say he doesn't have a tester, I was only asking....

If the circuit has had an oven running on it for years it may be in need of testing to ensure it is still safe for continued use.

You would be amazed how many times we hear people say I now the circuit is find because it's worked for X number of years. They must have X-ray vision or a crystal ball to know this.

Just because something works functionally does not mean it is safe, fault free or is up to minimal standards. Only testing can tell you that.
yep, the Titanic worked for over 3000 miles.

The breaker is there to protect the cable, the AC unit will have it's own internal fuse to protect itself.

Reply to please help! wired a 2.5kw ac into a oven circuit and breaker. is this ok? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net