Discuss (Please) How to remove these wires? - Mercedes Sprinter 2019 in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

daivd76

DIY
Reaction score
I ask you lege's if anyone has a clue how to remove these wires from this cable-plug-housing.

It is from (one of) the oval lights on the side of a Merc Sprinter 2019.

I managed to remove it from the oval light by first pulling up the grey tab, and then using the tab - levering it inwards, which released it.

Now I am left with this piece which has the old broken wires in, and looking to somehow remove them (to re-attach it).

I have tried poking various bits with a needle/pin and pulling them!

Really appreciate any advice.

Thank youWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.45 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.45 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.45.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.46 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.46 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.46 (3).jpeg

TL;DR
How to remove wires from this housing?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.47.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.48 (1).jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 19.53.48.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi,these automotive connectors,are in the main,single use,and do not lend themselves to refurbing,easily.
You can usually research the type of connector,and just make it a re-fitting exercise.
Sometimes the silicone seals will need removing,where the wires enter,and a fine hook-pick will be needed. The connector looks to be a two piece,and will slide apart,with the latch or detent pryed slightly.....but not if overheated or contaminated.

It looks like King Arthur pulled it out :) ....sometimes,a gentle cutting back of the connector rear,can expose enough copper,to solder cables on,and have another life.

I was about to say it looks like its connected still. I'm always replacing lights on cars and adding spots etc and these clips always snap on me. Tend to just wing a new connection with solder leaving out the clips altogether

If they are free from water ingress those methods are fine , a good sealing with heat shrink and appropriate sealant will help keep water out.

Hi,these automotive connectors,are in the main,single use,and do not lend themselves to refurbing,easily.
You can usually research the type of connector,and just make it a re-fitting exercise.
Sometimes the silicone seals will need removing,where the wires enter,and a fine hook-pick will be needed. The connector looks to be a two piece,and will slide apart,with the latch or detent pryed slightly.....but not if overheated or contaminated.

It looks like King Arthur pulled it out :) ....sometimes,a gentle cutting back of the connector rear,can expose enough copper,to solder cables on,and have another life.

Hey I wanted to thank you for this answer, it meant alot! Lol at King Arthur

I hear about the seals/ fine hook tool. For the short term I ended up sort of cutting the plastic colar off to expose more wire, and then after joining the wires by hand, BLU TACKED THEM! It was the only thing I had as tape didnt hold, and soldering I have yet to buy....Bit of blu tack to hold them and insulate them independantly, and then wrapped electrical tape around them.

I will look at getting the pick tool and making it more secure.

Sincerest thank you for your answer.

Regards!

You really need to make sure you have a sound connection to prevent shorting out and damaging the system at worst. If you use it , make sure it is properly fused.
Good luck , and well done with the perseverance, but please solder and heat shrink it ASAP. :)

Reply to (Please) How to remove these wires? - Mercedes Sprinter 2019 in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net