Discuss Please please help me. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I would like this 3 way switch wired up but have no idea how I took off a 2 way switch and fitted a 3 way switch in its place I have ran a new cable for the two down lights I'm trying to power. The other two old cables are powering a downstairs light and a top of the stairs light.

Attachments

• Please please help me. IMG_20200411_081958 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200411_081958.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Please please help me. IMG_20200411_081924 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200411_081924.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 76
  • Please please help me. IMG_20200411_081849 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200411_081849.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 69
I would like this 3 way switch wired up but have no idea how I took off a 2 way switch and fitted a 3 way switch in its place I have ran a new cable for the two down lights I'm trying to power. The other two old cables are powering a downstairs light and a top of the stairs light.
Hi, it's not totally clear but it looks like you have 2 3-core cables in old colors there, have u reinstated them exactly how they were in the old switch? I assume the little link cable in brown is a new addition, and the brown & blue 2 core cable is the feed to the new lights?
If so, it's not going to work unfortunately has you have no neutral there to take to your new downlights,

Last edited:
Hi, it's not totally clear but it looks like you have 2 3-core cables in old colors there, have u reinstated them exactly how they were in the old switch? I assume the little link cable in brown is a new addition, and the brown & blue 2 core cable is the feed to the new lights?
If so, it's not going to work unfortunately has you have no neutral there to take to tour new downlights,
Correct two old colours same as before new cable has a blue and brown and earth I have earthed to backplate I just don't know how to make it work ie where to put the blue and brown and the little brown bridge cable please help

Where are you getting the neutral for your new down lights from?

There are a couple of issues here with regard to the wiring of the light, the blue & brown shouldn't be visible outside of the fitting, the 'earth' wire should have some yellow and green sleeving on, and those downlights don't look fire rated so are likely to be unsuitable.
However I think the main issue as post 2 is that you don't seem to have a neutral at that switch already so you can't connect your new lights in there.
If the existing lights are 2 way switched, the neutral may be at the other switch, or more likely its at the light fitting its self, or a junction box in the floorspace or ceiling. Are you fitting these in a ground or 1st floor ceiling?
It also looks like there's no other earth's (cpc's) at your switch so although you've done the right thing with your new cable, your downlights won't be earthed.

Last edited:
Ok advice on the cables taken here is an image of where the lights are going it's in a canopy outside my front door
[automerge]1586592757[/automerge]
Ok advice on the cables taken here is an image of where the lights are going it's in a canopy outside my front door
The main thing I'm asking here now is how can I get these lights to work lol

Attachments

• Please please help me. IMG_20200411_091002 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200411_091002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 57
The main thing I'm asking here now is how can I get these lights to work lol

Post #2 mentioned about not appearing to have a Neutral at the switch. If that is the case, they you need to rewire them from somewhere that does have a neutral.

I suggest you wait till you can get an electrician in.

Post #2 mentioned about not appearing to have a Neutral at the switch. If that is the case, they you need to rewire them from somewhere that does have a neutral.

I suggest you wait till you can get an electrician in.
So on the old cable in there is the red yellow and blue none of them are neutral?? I'm guessing live switch live and com ??
[automerge]1586593155[/automerge]
So on the old cable in there is the red yellow and blue none of them are neutral?? I'm guessing live switch live and com ??

Attachments

• Please please help me. IMG_20200411_091905 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200411_091905.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 49

Probably not. You should not assume just because a cable is blue (or black) that it is a neutral. At a switch, it was not common to bring the neutral to the switch, at least in older properties.

I think your best bet, as per SJD, is to wait until you can get an electrician out. They may well be able to use their skills and experience to sort out the issue, there's a way around most things!

As with the above, it is quite common for multi-gang 2-way switches to have been cabled in whichever way was most convenient for the installer, sometimes resulting in duplication of functions of some of the cable cores. If you are lucky, the existing functions can be reconfigured to free up one conductor in an existing cable to serve as a neutral. However, if the existing lighting circuit has no CPCs, the wisdom of connecting anything new to it, and not taking the opportunity to rewire and upgrade it while working on it, is doubtful.

TBH I don't think it is practical to advise on this effectively, not least because there are so many possible configurations, plus there is the issue of the lack of CPCs for your new fittings. I don't often say this but it does look like a job for an experienced electrician.

I have to agree with Lucian here, simply not worth the risk.

If you do want to do something to help you could try and see where the junction box(es) for the existing lights might be located, but until the installation is understood by whoever will fix it then I would leave out any testing.

Reply to Please please help me. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock