Discuss Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

laike

Hi guys, could you please take a moment to review the electrician's work on my flat and leave a comment as to its quality.

Switches and sockets were placed in various strange positions without my agreement. He has moved them where required but they're still not 100% and are not centered and measured properly on the walls.

We had agreed that all wires would be chased into the brickwork inside plastic conduit. I am disappointed to see so much raw cable buried within the plaster without conduit.

Thanks for your input,

Refurb - Upload the image directly to the thread

Sorry to say chap, but what you have had done is certainly not a professional job, as previous posters have said, looks more like the builder/plumber has had a go, because as everyone knows being an electrician is sooooo easy. Cut your losses and get a real electrician in, and also get a new plumber and builder too by the looks of all the other pictures

Is that a taped up joint hes going to plaster in:detective: .... i would confirm that he is going to supply a certificate for his work and also that you are bringing in a third party to assess the quality and safety of the work as you have reservations as one of your friends is a electrician and has brought up some issues with the install... any good quality competent electrician wouldn't mind his work been inspected...

Is that a taped up joint hes going to plaster in:detective: .... i would confirm that he is going to supply a certificate for his work and also that you are bringing in a third party to assess the quality and safety of the work as you have reservations as one of your friends is a electrician and has brought up some issues with the install... any good quality competent electrician wouldn't mind his work been inspected...
looks like it dark....
kev kitchen...again...

yes all, I had found a perfectly good electrician on this forum and ended up choosing a builder's electrician to save a couple grand - and look at the state I'm in.

suggestions on what to do now are welcome. How do you renegotiate payment at this point?

Quite simple, you tell him you're not paying for that load of shyte and you want the job done properly. He has one chance to put it right it's up to him whether he takes it or not.

How to negotiate..... Easy, tell him you will pay him the going rate for everything he has done right - minus everything it costs you to sort his remedial work. Problem solved.

Try contacting building control to assess the work been done and forward the report to the builder that unless all issues raised are addresed you will withhold payment... im not sure if building control also cover part p others will tell you but id put a hold on the progress of the job until report been done and show all pictures you have shown us.....

List the concerns we have addressed from buried joints taped up to cables running over heating pipes and many more like zoning of cables that do look like they are going off on a diagnal. It may cost you for the assessment and you may need a separate Electrical but to continue and have to re-due it all probably at your expense would be alot more costly and i doubt you want to get into a legal battle with these cowboys.

Last edited:
Looking at all those pics I'd say that the electrics are only half of your worries. The building work is shyte as well. If the work you CAN see is that bad gawd knows what the hidden stuff is like.

yes all, I had found a perfectly good electrician on this forum and ended up choosing a builder's electrician to save a couple grand - and look at the state I'm in.

suggestions on what to do now are welcome. How do you renegotiate payment at this point?

Sorry to say but this approach nearly always ends in tears, you can probably kiss goodbye to the couple of grand you saved.
Whilst I wish you all the best in sorting this, I feel a lesson well learned. Lack of Money should never be the reason for choosing a trade, save up and pay for a professional rate.

You don't renegotiate the price you tell him to bugger off, ask for compensation to put the job right and call a professional in :) as the saying goes pay peanuts you get monkeys and you clearly have buddy !

My god I thought I was rough!!!
was the electrician British because if he was he should be struck off, it looks like something you see when your on holiday.
personally I'd kick the electrician of site and get a qualified one in, if the builder complains I'd kick him off as well cos his work looks like a bag of ****e too.
what do they say get three quotes and pick the cheapest, and by golly this is what you get

Reply to Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net