Discuss Plug adaptor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can you buy the reverse of the adaptor below?
I need the two pin plug (with the hex shape) to convert to a 3 pin uk socket.
It’s just for chargers etc in the car. I could make one from a lead and socket but would rather have just an adaptor.
Thanks.

1566942022948.jpeg

Google “travel adaptor”.
Just bear in mind there’s lots of unsafe rubbish out there, although for the usage you’ve described, the risk is a lot lower than if you wanted to shove it somewhere with a hairdryer or iron on the other end.

I am trying to understand what you want to plug it into, given that you mention the flattened hexagon which suggests a Europlug. You also mention the car... is it to connect to an inverter?

Europlug is a common enough thing but it exists only in certain forms. The idea is that it is a cheap, simple and compact plug that fits most European socket variants with 19mm pin centres. In theory there is no corresponding socket type because it is simply a compatibility workaround for all the other existing types, however Europlug 'sockets' are starting to appear on things like extension leads.

Any adaptor with specifically Europlug pins and a 3-pin socket is going to be a bit naughty, possibly a lot naughty, not least because Europlug - specifically the slim hexagon with inclined 4mm insulated pins - is only rated at 2.5A. So why do you want Europlug on the male side, and not one or more of the full-spec earthed 16A EU plug types such as CEE 7/4 (Schuko) or 7/6 (French)?

Hi, it’s only for chargers etc that don’t have an earth connection (plastic pin).

It’s a socket built into the car.
I’ll try and post a picture, bear with me....
[automerge]1567027278[/automerge]

OK so your car has a built-in inverter. Personally I would make a cable rather than use an adaptor. The socket may have built in switch contacts to enable the inverter when a plug is inserted. The extra stress on the socket cause by a goofy adaptor dangling off it could damage or fail to engage the switch (if there is one). The cable will be as naughty as the adaptor though.

100% what Lucien has said - you don't want a rigid adaptor and plug(top) hanging out of that socket. It's going to either do some damage to the socket, or get knocked and cause a bad connection between socket/plug.
[automerge]1567084910[/automerge]
Must admit I'm quite impressed with your car having a mains outlet. I think I'd have to change it for a twin MK flush outlet personally though. Could use standard light switches for the interiorights as well. This could be the new car customising craze!
[automerge]1567084952[/automerge]
I don't like this new auto merge thing.

Last edited:

Reply to Plug adaptor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net