Discuss Plug availability behind built in fridge freezer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mike H

DIY
Reaction score
Hello. We’ve moved into a relatively new house (4 years), and want to get a water softener fitted. However, it needs to go in a cupboard next to a built in fridge freezer. The softener will need a power supply. The fridge freezer has an isolation switch above the counter. My question is, is there likely to be a double traditional socket behind the FF, or is there likely to be another way to get power to the softener? I’m not keen to take out the FF in advance unless I have to!

I would say it is very unlikely that the freezer isolator feeds a double socket. But either way you are presumably going to have to remove it to check and/or to sort power for the softener.

or fit anotherisolation switch next to existing, then drop a single socket from there.

Probably had the plug chopped off and wired into a plate to make it go back and fit the door on, if it's integrated (especially if it's neff) you will wish you had never started if you take it out to see what's behind.
[automerge]1572764879[/automerge]
Following on from the last one get an electrician in he will soon hatch a plan where to get power from
[automerge]1572764938[/automerge]
And compared to what you will be paying for a water softener install he will probably look like a bargain ?

Probably had the plug chopped off and wired into a plate to make it go back and fit the door on, if it's integrated (especially if it's neff) you will wish you had never started if you take it out to see what's behind.
[automerge]1572764879[/automerge]
Following on from the last one get an electrician in he will soon hatch a plan where to get power from
[automerge]1572764938[/automerge]
And compared to what you will be paying for a water softener install he will probably look like a bargain ?
Yep I’m not keen to take it out if I can help it. All the units also have back panels built in so not easy to see what’s behind without undertaking a ‘hack’ job. However not sure if I need to get the built in FF and dishwasher out before I can get the electrician around or their might not be much for him to see.
Photo shows built in FF on right, and cupboard to the left in which we’ll need to fit the softener which has the FF isolation switch above the counter.
Interesting previous post about some not needing a power supply?! I’ll look into this at it may be an option if the mains connection is a mare!

Attachments

• Plug availability behind built in fridge freezer D0D6339B-4E20-4051-A3B6-E41E82EE9D4E - EletriciansForums.net
    D0D6339B-4E20-4051-A3B6-E41E82EE9D4E.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 17
Normally the FF units don’t have a full back on them, and relatively easy to slide out the appliance once the doors are off.
Is there a cupboard above the FF? You may find the socket in there rather than behind.

That's quite a big water softener if it needs mains power - there are plenty that run just on mains water pressure.
[the link is right despite typo]

Wow I didn't know these existed! I am currently going through the process of arguing with the water supplier to my house who have sent me two valves to put on the feed to my dishwasher, and washing machine (nothing for my drinking water tap!!!!!) when I complained. Which is clearly pointless.

My fridge says it does it. But it doesn't, and takes ages to fill a glass. And by the time it has filled one, I need a pee from watching it for so long, and don't want a drink anymore.

I'll look into this wizardry you link to. Seems to be the way to go for me.

Big fridge/freezers should have their plugs put into an extension lead plugged in above the units.
Agree with littlespark, it's great to have lovely fresh water from the tap!

Reply to Plug availability behind built in fridge freezer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock