Discuss Plug Socket Showing Up Without An Earth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NathanMorgan

Hi guys

Have a problem with the tumble dryer that wasn't working and when the technician came out to check the socket with his device it showed up that the plug socket hasn't got an earth.

How would an electrician go about fixing the problem?

Thanks in advance

Nathan

What "device" did the "technician" use?

I would call out a qualified electrician to diagnose and repair the fault.

Hi guys

Have a problem with the tumble dryer that wasn't working and when the technician came out to check the socket with his device it showed up that the plug socket hasn't got an earth.

How would an electrician go about fixing the problem?

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Was this person an electrician or a domestic appliance repair bloke? There is a degree of cross over, some electricians take on this work, some domestic appliance repair people fancy themselves as electricians.
Like Dillb says above, what was this device?

I presume it was a socket tester.

I have an electrician popping in to have a look at it later, just wanting to know if its a simply job or will other places round the house need rewiring?

You might find that the plug in light up tester your repair man used are renound for not giving accurate readings.
I had a customer tel me there was no earth on a socket in his house. I found that there was an earth in correct terminal of the socket. The line was in the correct terminal as was the neutral.
It turned out that the earth (CPC) was LIVE as was the neutral. But the line was DEAD.
POLISH BUILDER need I say more?
This is why you can't beat a properly qualified electrician with proper test instruments.
Do it once and do I right.

Out of curiosity did the technician give this as the reason the tumble dryer wasn't working?

Out of curiosity did the technician give this as the reason the tumble dryer wasn't working?

no a part has broken on the tumble dryer but he's refusing to fix it until the socket is sorted

Probably the repair man plugged his socket tester in, showed up as no earth and thought blow that for a game of soldiers I ain't playing around when it's got no earth.

I'd be very suspicious of this bloke.

no a part has broken on the tumble dryer but he's refusing to fix it until the socket is sorted

I don't see why he can't mend the dryer until the socket is fixed unless of course he knows a bloke who'll fix it for you.
Are there any other sockets you could use nearby or run an extension lead from? If so did he test these too?

he seemed a bit odd but I've got an electrician coming out this evening to have a look at it and hopefully fix the problem

Hopefully it's just a case of the CPC has become disconnected, if there actually is a fault.
Unlike my mates kitchen, where the fitters had chopped half the cpc's off, bit of emergency rewiring required, seeing as he rents it out! :censored:

OK now we know where we stand

I'd be very suspicious of this bloke.

why. i had similar with a good customer. new dishwasher and the installer used a socket tester. declared that there was no earth to the socket. customer called me out and i verified no earth. turned out that the spark he'd been using before me had left a RFC cpc disconnected in the CU. not only dissed, but the bare ends were dangerously close to the L busbar, behind the MCBs. so a potentially lethal situation was sorted.

why. i had similar with a good customer. new dishwasher and the installer used a socket tester. declared that there was no earth to the socket. customer called me out and i verified no earth. turned out that the spark he'd been using before me had left a RFC cpc disconnected in the CU. not only dissed, but the bare ends were dangerously close to the L busbar, behind the MCBs. so a potentially lethal situation was sorted.

I had the same with a tumble drier in a Hair dressers, I think it was under warranty, but they refused to fix it until the socket (only socket anywhere near) was repaired.

Turned out it when it had been installed (spurred from the ring in the roof) someone had missed the cpc out at the junction box. It had only been like it for 20 years according to the owner. :)

1. Call competent, fully equiped spark
2. Using calibrated MFT see if the reading is the same as the "technician"
3. Identify and safely isolate circuit
4. Remove socket and retest on cables behind!

step 5 depends on the results of step 4.

just a quick update for you all.

had a sparky to test the socket and it has an earth in it so I have no idea what this so called 'technician' was using to test the socket.

The company are about to have a ear full off myself and the sparky said to claim back the cost of calling out an electrician so im going to do it.

just a quick update for you all.

had a sparky to test the socket and it has an earth in it so I have no idea what this so called 'technician' was using to test the socket.

The company are about to have a ear full off myself and the sparky said to claim back the cost of calling out an electrician so im going to do it.

It wasn't British Gas by any chance was it???

Reply to Plug Socket Showing Up Without An Earth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock