Discuss plug sockets in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NickTG

DIY
Reaction score
hi there - Im about to book an electrical safety certificate for a property that will be let out and I notice I have plug sockets in the bathroom (they have always been handy for electric toothbrushes and hair dryers etc but they are within a metre of the sink and within 3 metres of the bath / shower. Im assuming that will not pass. What is the best thing to do - can i remove the gang plug socket and either replace with a shaver socket face or insulate the wires and put a blank plate there instead ? Any advice welcome

Last edited:
hi there - Im about to book an electrical safety certificate for a property that will be let out and I notice I have plug sockets in the bathroom (they have always been handy for electric toothbrushes and hair dryers etc but they are within a metre of the sink and within 3 metres of the bath / shower. Im assuming that will not pass. What is the best thing to do - can i remove the gang plug socket and either replace with a shaver socket face or insulate the wires and put a blank plate there instead ? Any advice welcome

I'm presuming the socket is not inside a cupboard or unit of some sort?

I would wait for the report to be done.
however it is unlikely they will be ok in there current form (sockets)
changing for a blank plate or shaver socket are the two easiest ways to make it compliant, but the electrician on site is probably the best to advise or discuss it with.

No electrical regulations whatsoever concerning the basin, so that's irrelevant. It's only a shower or bath that is considered.
Essentially, all the electrics are OK as long as they are more than 600mm from the edge of a shower or bath, except for 13A sockets, which have to be at least 3m away.
Can't see the shower or bath in the pic, but as long as the switch ad programmer (?) are more than 600mm way, it's OK. Not the 13A socket though, but it can be blanked off or replaced by an isolating shaver socket/electric toothbrush. Problem is, your back box is horizontal, but the replacements tend to need a vertical box.

No electrical regulations whatsoever concerning the basin, so that's irrelevant. It's only a shower or bath that is considered.
Essentially, all the electrics are OK as long as they are more than 600mm from the edge of a shower or bath, except for 13A sockets, which have to be at least 3m away.
Can't see the shower or bath in the pic, but as long as the switch ad programmer (?) are more than 600mm way, it's OK. Not the 13A socket though, but it can be blanked off or replaced by an isolating shaver socket/electric toothbrush. Problem is, your back box is horizontal, but the replacements tend to need a vertical box.
thanks Brian thats very clear (indeed - i guess the writing will all be on the side for the shaver socket )

thanks Brian wish you were in london and not Devon :)
22 years since I've been inside the M25, and in no hurry to get back there anytime soon.
Retired now from doing any work outside my own little empire, but back when I was contracting, I did briefly consider travelling up to London for a couple of long days a week, making as much in those two days as I did in five back here.

does anyone know of any "horizontal" ones on sale in the UK (its strange because for double socket size they all seem to be vertical for some reason the the 2 pins vertical too and yet if its a single socket shaver plug the 2 pins are vertical!) - but its more the wring that would be nice having it upright rather than on its side although i guess it does not matter - or does it ?

Yup the ones from Nigeria 😂
Asia seem to have them too but i was hoping not to have to import them as unfortunately they also have the annoying feature of dual voltage and therefore very heavy from postage costs - would be great to have from UK - or advice guys does it matter if i use a UK one on its side ?

It seems the Schneider horizontal shaver units (zencelo range) are only available in certain countries, e.g. Nigeria, Singapore, India. Unless you passing through one of these places (probably not likely at present) or have a contact there who can ship you one, it is going to be tricky to get hold of one. Perhaps use a UK upright style with minimal lettering so it doesn't look odd on its side.

It seems the Schneider horizontal shaver units (zencelo range) are only available in certain countries, e.g. Nigeria, Singapore, India. Unless you passing through one of these places (probably not likely at present) or have a contact there who can ship you one, it is going to be tricky to get hold of one. Perhaps use a UK upright style with minimal lettering so it doesn't look odd on its side.
and ones like this in china and singapore and one sometimes sees little shelves these days as attachment to the gang for phones - is the charging of phones allowed in the uk in a bathroom ?

Attachments

• plug sockets in bathroom Screenshot 2022-02-11 195828 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2022-02-11 195828.gif
    28.8 KB · Views: 3

Reply to plug sockets in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock