Discuss Plug under leaking sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

andresc

DIY
Reaction score
We have rented a house where the landlord had installed a single socket directly beneath the water feeds and plug to the kitchen sink. the socket is mounted on a loose hardboard partition in the back of the under sink unit, which is not an integral part of a carcase unit. The dishwasher was plugged into this socket. The mixer tap on the worktop has been attached through the old single tap aperture and is extremely loose (was on arrival) and leaks constantly. The mixer is sealed with kitchen sealant, but is still loose. Recently the dishwasher exploded as the leaks finally reached the socket.
My question is : is it legal to let a property - knowing that you have a leaking tap directly above a socket where you have plugged in the dishwasher ?
Any advice would be very welcome

I suggest that first point of call would be to ask the agent to fix the problem tap / leak.
also if there has been water ingress into socket, a registered electrician should be involved to replace and/or re-site the socket.

I suggest that first point of call would be to ask the agent to fix the problem tap / leak.
also if there has been water ingress into socket, a registered electrician should be involved to replace and/or re-site the socket.
Thanks James - socket has been moved. what I want to know is if it is legal to knowingly let the property in this condition

Sometimes fitting a socket outlet for a kitchen appliance in such a location is the only option. A properly installed piece of plumbing should not be expected to leak, hence it being reasonable and safe to install the socket here. Same as a socket outlet should not be expected to ‘leak’ electricity near copper pipes, if you get my drift.

The LL will be expecting any work done on his property to be done correctly.
He's not going to go around checking every job if he's got word from tradesmen to say all is well.
Was the leaking tap reported when you moved in?
Was the loose board the socket was mounted to reported?

If the LL isn't made aware, then he doesn't know theres a problem.

There is no problem installing a socket in the unit below a sink.

However... I for one would love to see the distribution board. My bet is on old wylex rewirable fuses.

Reply to Plug under leaking sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net