Discuss PME METAL OUTBUILDING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rkidcd

-
Reaction score
Scenario encountered:
New submain looks to have been taken from a PME supply in 4c 10mm SWA with no copper earth to a external metal feeder pillar.

The SWA has been glanded into new metal clad DB within the feeder pillar effectively incorporating it into the PME supply. A Earth has also been taken from the banjo to a earth rod within the feeder pillar.

The feeder pillar is intended to go on to feed a metal fabricated building with sub circuits and that’s what we have potentially come in to carry out.

Issues I can see but may be barking up wrong tree:

For me surely it would have been better to isolate the PME and TT this DB and all of its sub circuits?

As there is no internal copper earth in the SWA - PME hasn’t effectively been exported at all so bonds are currently ineffective?

Thanks for the reply.

Things have developed further since this morning - when I took a Zs at the DB with the supplementary Rod connection disconnected leaving me just PME I achieved a Zs of well over 2 ohms on a B63 MCB with no associated RCD!!

Am I right in saying if I isolate the source earth pre DB it still leaves the armouring up to this point with no fault protection?

Am I going mad here? BTW the run is around 400m

Sounds like a pretty poor design 400m of 10.0 swa but yes the armour stills requires protection from fault.

Agree - with 4 core I would TT at the far end. Just confirming - the distribution circuit (400m of 10mm) has Zs more than 2 Ohms and is protected by B63 (?). Voltage drop won't out well either I'm afraid, with about 1.5V drop per Amp if my fat fingers haven't botched it.

New out building 400m from source sounds like a farmer trying to save some money.

Another quick question about the same job but completely different subject. How would you go about zones in the following scenario:

A wildlife hut which is semi open to the elements. Half of hut is solid ground the other half vaguely described as a pool, pond or collection of water (through excess site water runoff) which is to be utilised by the wildlife.

Client would like fittings throughout the hut and the ceiling height isn't particularly high.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A wildlife hut which is semi open to the elements. Half of hut is solid ground the other half vaguely described as a pool, pond or collection of water (through excess site water runoff) which is to be utilised by the wildlife. Client would like fittings throughout the hut and the ceiling height isn't particularly high. Thoughts?

Reading 702.11 Scope "Except for areas especially designed as swimming pools, the requirements of this section do not apply to natural waters ..." So a nice TT and plastic IP rated installation perhaps?

Another quick question about the same job but completely different subject. How would you go about zones in the following scenario:

A wildlife hut which is semi open to the elements. Half of hut is solid ground the other half vaguely described as a pool, pond or collection of water (through excess site water runoff) which is to be utilised by the wildlife.

Client would like fittings throughout the hut and the ceiling height isn't particularly high.

Thoughts?
ELV, the animals would be at risk but also the keepers when they enter for cleaning etc.

Without knowing the full layout or requirements socket outlets could possibly a no no if you have animals bigger than a penguin trying to eat them...

Gonna potentially be flamingos and other similar birds - lighting would be within a 2m height of the solid ground/water sections.

IP rated a must? ELV recommended?

So at 4mV/A/m and even allowing for 5% VD in the submain, you've got a maximum of 7A available at the far end, so the B16 that will be needed to protect the cable will be ample although hard to achieve discrimination with. As it's TP+N that's 4.8kVA, which might or might not be enough to keep the hippos warm. Or is is SP+N with pairs of cores paralleled?

If the hippos want an electric shower, they will be in need of a pair of transformers. At 1000V you can get six times as much juice down the cable.

Reply to PME METAL OUTBUILDING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock