Discuss pme ordered but need to change cu asap in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MTI

Hi all, long story short...

viewed cu upgrade job and realized non dno pme connection - ze showed 2.2
property just fully decorated and cleaned...as usual!

client has tenants moving in before pme can be done but has been ordered to dno

nightmare trying to install a rod for TT due to layout (apartment/house conversion) with concrete boundries

no rcd nor cross bonding etc and im pushed for time. all existing circuits proved ok.

would you consider board change and a basic "not your best looking installed rod" due to decor (clipped to skirting to downstairs and outside)?
just wanting to please my great client in meantime and get them out of the muck due to an admin error on this install

im really pushed to get this done and wanted to do it tomorrow as tenants move in sunday but im afraid to sign anything off unless i get it in writing from client that dno ordered for pme. a permanent TT isn't really a feasible option. full pir done already.

cheers in advance guys

Until the TN-C-S is in, I'd advise to leave the power off. Unless you can install an earth rod PROPERLY. Advise client you can't work miracles and that you are unwilling to do anything that might put people at risk. Simples.

cheers guys, my thoughts the same. im gonna stick a rod in tomorrow (somehow!) and do ze before considering board change.

is there a metal water pipe into the ground? if so what's the Ze with that included?

half of leeds was installed that way, and while it's not to current regs now if it's not a private water pipe on the outside, we've done several installs before where we've left it with the water pipe as the earth if the reading is ok, as long as we've booked the DNO to switch it to PME, then go back and test it again once this is in place.

We've also found several where the water pipes in the street had been swapped to plastic, so the Ze was terrible, where we've put an earth spike in temporarily until the DNO can make it into PME... tried to point out to the DNO that the chances were that 90% of the street / entire estate would also have sod all earth, but that apparently isn't their problem, and it's also not my problem, but it surely ought to be someone's problem... sorry, I've gone off on one slightly.

is there a metal water pipe into the ground? if so what's the Ze with that included?

half of leeds was installed that way, and while it's not to current regs now if it's not a private water pipe on the outside, we've done several installs before where we've left it with the water pipe as the earth if the reading is ok, as long as we've booked the DNO to switch it to PME, then go back and test it again once this is in place.

We've also found several where the water pipes in the street had been swapped to plastic, so the Ze was terrible, where we've put an earth spike in temporarily until the DNO can make it into PME... tried to point out to the DNO that the chances were that 90% of the street / entire estate would also have sod all earth, but that apparently isn't their problem, and it's also not my problem, but it surely ought to be someone's problem... sorry, I've gone off on one slightly.
Err, you're joking, right? Fookit, it's only an earth, who needs that, it's sooo last century?!

Surely if there is a high impedance earth terminal there already, ( you say'home brew' but ive seen some DNO abortions)you can use that but treat as TT, until pme is done, you will I assume, be doing relevant earthing if its not already in, so with the CU change, you will be leaving it safer anyway, albeit for short period of time.
however I wouldn't take LLords word for it that it has been ordered, as they may not understand the importance of the pme work, check for yourself.
and don't sign off anything until ALL the work is complete

viewed cu upgrade job and realized non dno pme connection - ze showed 2.2...
property just fully decorated and cleaned...as usual!

client has tenants moving in before pme can be done but has been ordered to dno

cheers in advance guys

I'm intrigued, so what does this Non DNO PME connection consist of??

What i'm thinking is, if the earth conductor has been taken from the incoming neutral, what is an official connection PME connection going to give you??

I think this landlord is spinning you a line here. From the Ze figure you gave (2.2 ohm) this DNO supply hasn't been PME'd ...or even started to be PME'd!! lol!!

Any chance of a photo of the service head and this home made PME connection??

I'm intrigued, so what does this Non DNO PME connection consist of??

What i'm thinking is, if the earth conductor has been taken from the incoming neutral, what is an official connection PME connection going to give you??

I think this landlord is spinning you a line here. From the Ze figure you gave (2.2 ohm) this DNO supply hasn't been PME'd ...or even started to be PME'd!! lol!!

Any chance of a photo of the service head and this home made PME connection??

Yes, in thinking about it, is the OP telling us there is no earth at present at all? In which case you have to wonder exactly what it is that's reading 2.2 ohms - if it isn't just a reading from the bonding then how is it being derived??

This is another phantom earthing system.there seems be no end of them appearing on this forum lately
What,ase asked by the others is this 2.2 ohms and where did it come from ?

You have 2 choices,make it a TT system or wait for the supplier to provide an alternative
Also,in reality there is no such thing as a temporary TT,it either exists and complies or it doesn't

Reply to pme ordered but need to change cu asap in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net