Discuss PME & TNS supply in same building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

Have been doing some work in a large building complex, the original building has a TNS supply but the large extension to the building has a seperate PME supply.

At present there are no main protective bonding conductors to water/gas/oil and these services are common to both old and new parts of the building. If these MPB conductors are taken to one of the origins (PME for example) I'm imagining that will cause issues by mixing two Earth potentials (PME potential on pipe work and TNS potential from cpc's). Have been looking through the BGB but can't find an answer to my question. Any ideas?

Re: TNCS & TNS supply in same building

IMO, if the extraneous parts are common to both areas, then you must combine the earthing arrangements . you don't want a pd between the 2 earthing systems. you could dis. the TN-S and connect the whole system to the PME.

When new supply applied for, did the DNO know that it was to remain as one building? Is having 2 supplies in one building OK? 2 x points of isolation.

The fun and games will start if the two supplies are on different feeders/transformers. It could cause quite bad circulating currents. Have a word with the DNO.

Whats that Tel? Dis. The TNS??? The mother, the king, the queen of all earthing???? :laugh:

When new supply applied for, did the DNO know that it was to remain as one building? Is having 2 supplies in one building OK? 2 x points of isolation.

I don't know when the extension was built, but I believe that this is a question that surely should've been raised at the time.

The fun and games will start if the two supplies are on different feeders/transformers. It could cause quite bad circulating currents. Have a word with the DNO.

There is a substation on site, coincidentally the SSE where there on Wednesday with temporary backup generators as they were shutting down the onsite substation for ongoing works in a neighbouring village. I'm pretty sure that both supplies are coming from there.

Either way, I agree that they need to be contacted.

I don't know when the extension was built, but I believe that this is a question that surely should've been raised at the time.

There is a substation on site, coincidentally the SSE where there on Wednesday with temporary backup generators as they were shutting down the onsite substation for ongoing works in a neighbouring village. I'm pretty sure that both supplies are coming from there.

Either way, I agree that they need to be contacted.

If it’s a transformer dedicated to what I assume is an industrial estate, I’m surprised it’s a mix of TN-C-S and PME. That said they could be on separate feeders from the transformer feeder pillar installed at different dates.

What is the rating of these supplies?

Before you do anything talk to the DNO. You’ve decided that anyway.

IMO, if the extraneous parts are common to both areas, then you must combine the earthing arrangements . you don't want a pd between the 2 earthing systems. you could dis. the TN-S and connect the whole system to the PME.

I’m surprised at you for suggesting that Tel.

So you have a PME supply & a TN-S supply in the same building?
Do the DNO know about this?
Or, have there been building changes since the supplies were installed?

Reply to PME & TNS supply in same building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net