Discuss Points served - FCU's??. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I know people have different methods but I was wondering would you count an FCU (feeding a single socket for an appliance) as a point?

In my head I dont count light switches, but I would count single socket = 1, double socket = 1, Ceiling rose = 1, Each downlight connection = 1.

Just not sure about FCU's?

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
T

TPES

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I count anything that draws a load, sockets, lights etc... I don't class isolators as a point, an FCU isolating a single socket below kitchen worktop would be 1 point.

C

chrisgc

Thanks for the clarification.

Appreciated.

C

chrisgc

Oh and out of interest - do you guys count 2 gang socket as 2? I personally think its one - not sure if there is anything official wording from the scheme providers at all though.

M

MarkieSparkie

Oh and out of interest - do you guys count 2 gang socket as 2? I personally think its one - not sure if there is anything official wording from the scheme providers at all though.
Hi Chris, Your original thought was correct a double socket is counted as a single point. In a similar fashion a multi-lamp light fitting is counted as a single point.

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
One reason i never really see the point of this on a cert, theres so many different understanding of what counts as 1 point, theres not much accuracy in it.

O

Octopus

I always think of "points" as fixed points where connections are made. i.e. 2G socket = 1, 1G socket =1, FCU = 1, light fitting = 1, etc, etc but as Amp David says there are a different views on the "count".

Another daft example of the regs where a simple explanation would clear up another anomoly.

G

Guest55

One reason i never really see the point of this on a cert, theres so many different understanding of what counts as 1 point, theres not much accuracy in it.
Agreed , just time wasting scheme crap that isnt even required by bs 7671.

My understanding is that it is a point of current using equipment, so sockets single or double count as one and light fittings count as one but I do not count switches.
FCU's supplying a socket as in a kitchen or utility room I would count as one.

S

SirKit Breaker

I would only fill this in if i had done a rewire, or new build. Then if any additions are made by DIY charlie then it nulls and voids his guarantee.

Cheers..........Howard

E

Edd

As above. I also count a Cooker panel that has a single socket on it and with an outlet plate as 2. And a cooker panel that is just a 45 amp switch (no socket) but an outlet plate as one.
I use each point of current using equipment as one, (except twin socket which is 1)

I would only fill this in if i had done a rewire, or new build. Then if any additions are made by DIY charlie then it nulls and voids his guarantee.

Cheers..........Howard
Not sure it would affect any guarantees.
I went into a house a few weeks ago which had been rewired last year and the electrician had done a good job. However, the owner did inform me that the spark had missed a socket off the "number of points". The owner had taken an interest in how many sockets he had and it wasn't until the spark had left that he realised they'd missed one under a cupboard when counting them up.

There is no definitive answer to this, only personal preference. Personally I count every time a cable is terminated as a point. Excluding mcb. And if a fcu is feeding fixed equipment, I only count the fcu.

There is no definitive answer to this, only personal preference. Personally I count every time a cable is terminated as a point. Excluding mcb. And if a fcu is feeding fixed equipment, I only count the fcu.
Hope there aren't too many JB's under the floorboards then Thomas :)

1shortcircuit

We'll all soon be taking photos of everything we install in order to cover our backsides ;)

I often do when labeling fcu's that may not be obvious to which appliance they isolate. You know the stickers will not remain there for any length of time

O

Octopus

We'll all soon be taking photos of everything we install in order to cover our backsides
On CU changes I always take a picture when done with the cover off and then one with the cover on. You can spot DIY meddling easily this way if you're called back.

M

Mark_Burgess

Ahh, but when pricing up the job, I bet switches and outlet plates get priced at x ££££ per point!

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Got my Elecsa assessment next week, might ask the chap and see what he says.

Its him who told me you don't need it as its not on the example form in regs.

Same goes for the cable type used on the STR sheet

G

Guest55

Same goes for the cable type used on the STR sheet
Ironically , i actually think recording the cable type is a good idea and provides information worthy of writing in certs / reports.
And you dont have go rummaging through peoples bedrooms to do it unlike counting points.

O

Octopus

And you dont have go rummaging through peoples bedrooms to do it unlike counting points.
Whereas obviously you would have done when testing sockets on the ring, so you'll know where they are and how many!

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to Points served - FCU's??. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom