Discuss Points served - FCU's??. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

I know people have different methods but I was wondering would you count an FCU (feeding a single socket for an appliance) as a point?

In my head I dont count light switches, but I would count single socket = 1, double socket = 1, Ceiling rose = 1, Each downlight connection = 1.

Just not sure about FCU's?

I count anything that draws a load, sockets, lights etc... I don't class isolators as a point, an FCU isolating a single socket below kitchen worktop would be 1 point.

Oh and out of interest - do you guys count 2 gang socket as 2? I personally think its one - not sure if there is anything official wording from the scheme providers at all though.

Oh and out of interest - do you guys count 2 gang socket as 2? I personally think its one - not sure if there is anything official wording from the scheme providers at all though.
Hi Chris, Your original thought was correct a double socket is counted as a single point. In a similar fashion a multi-lamp light fitting is counted as a single point.

I always think of "points" as fixed points where connections are made. i.e. 2G socket = 1, 1G socket =1, FCU = 1, light fitting = 1, etc, etc but as Amp David says there are a different views on the "count".

Another daft example of the regs where a simple explanation would clear up another anomoly.

One reason i never really see the point of this on a cert, theres so many different understanding of what counts as 1 point, theres not much accuracy in it.

Agreed , just time wasting scheme crap that isnt even required by bs 7671.

My understanding is that it is a point of current using equipment, so sockets single or double count as one and light fittings count as one but I do not count switches.
FCU's supplying a socket as in a kitchen or utility room I would count as one.

I would only fill this in if i had done a rewire, or new build. Then if any additions are made by DIY charlie then it nulls and voids his guarantee.

Cheers..........Howard

As above. I also count a Cooker panel that has a single socket on it and with an outlet plate as 2. And a cooker panel that is just a 45 amp switch (no socket) but an outlet plate as one.
I use each point of current using equipment as one, (except twin socket which is 1)

I would only fill this in if i had done a rewire, or new build. Then if any additions are made by DIY charlie then it nulls and voids his guarantee.

Cheers..........Howard

Not sure it would affect any guarantees.
I went into a house a few weeks ago which had been rewired last year and the electrician had done a good job. However, the owner did inform me that the spark had missed a socket off the "number of points". The owner had taken an interest in how many sockets he had and it wasn't until the spark had left that he realised they'd missed one under a cupboard when counting them up.

There is no definitive answer to this, only personal preference. Personally I count every time a cable is terminated as a point. Excluding mcb. And if a fcu is feeding fixed equipment, I only count the fcu.

We'll all soon be taking photos of everything we install in order to cover our backsides ;)

I often do when labeling fcu's that may not be obvious to which appliance they isolate. You know the stickers will not remain there for any length of time

Reply to Points served - FCU's??. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock