Discuss polarity argument at work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Olliew

What do use in emergency lighting brown permanent live black switch live or black permanent live brown switch live obviously grey neutral major arguments at work please help to settle

Hi there , Derek here been in the game for over 20 years now and I have this argument at work a lot with the young kids coming through. And it is definately black as switch live brown as permanent live. I'm so glad someone as posted a question on this because it really annoys me when cowboys try and say black is permanent , hope this helps!!! Derek

I tend to use black as switch also but there is nothing to say you cannot use either as long as its sleeved up and constant throughout the install!

There was no talk about these matters until they got rid of the proper colours :13:

Wow Tel,were you reading my mind ?
:grin:

Red perminent live, yellow (sleeved red) switch live, blue Neutral....

OR for the eurocrats Brown perminent live, black (sleeved brown) switch live, grey (sleeved blue) neutral...

Totally agree guys so many big companies doing the other way makes things so complicated . It should be made clear in the regs god they update them enough lol

Des 56 I think that comment is absolute nonsense. Need to get with the times and learn that everything moves on. But these thickos out there need to understand brown is permanent !!!!!!

Des 56 I think that comment is absolute nonsense. Need to get with the times and learn that everything moves on. But these thickos out there need to understand brown is permanent !!!!!!

i always understood that poo was brown, a bit like your post.

Here is a but more nonsense Dearest Derrick
I have got with the times,although white still holds some affection

Might of missed something here, but if this is a single phase install then black does not exist!, wether its switched or not it's a line conductor and if sleeved brown then it's colour is brown

Might of missed something here, but if this is a single phase install then black does not exist!, wether its switched or not it's a line conductor and if sleeved brown then it's colour is brown

it does if you're using 3 core/E.

An argument we could have for a long time, black is a three phase line conductor, when u sleeve it brown it's brown, if the cores were insulated crimson and u sleeved them brown then they are now brown end of, my point is it doesn't matter what colour they were it matters they are the right colour now

I cant believe that this is such a debate point; as Lland' has pointed out if black is used in single phase then it is required to be sleeved (Brown in this case), this then gives you a personel choice of which to use as live and which as switch, there are no rules or regs telling you but common sense makes it easier to use natural brown as permanent live and sleeved brown as sw/live as but again il re-iterate it your own preference as they will be both brown after you have terminated and sleeved where necessary.
Next question! which is the front side and which is the backside of the sun?

Reply to polarity argument at work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock