Discuss POLL - Neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests

In respect to the debate in this thread http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...electrical-forum/33420-neutrals-switches.html

I've decided to launch a poll to gage response from the forum.

3 Answers
GOOD / ACCEPTABLE - If you think Neutrals at switches is OK
BAD
/ UNACCEPTABLE- If you think Neutrals at switches is NOT OK / WRONG
UNDECIDED - If you have no preference or are fence sitting (like me)

The poll is timed for 7 days...... So get polling

Last edited:
As the title suggests

In respect to the debate in this thread http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...electrical-forum/33420-neutrals-switches.html

I've decided to launch a poll to gage response from the forum.

3 Answers
GOOD - If you think Neutrals at switches is OK
BAD
- If you think Neutrals at switches is NOT OK / WRONG
UNDECIDED - If you have no preference or are fence sitting (like me)

The poll is timed for 7 days...... So get polling

Can you not use the word 'acceptable' rather than good?
I think it's acceptable but I wouldn't describe it as being 'good'

Can you not use the word 'acceptable' rather than good?
I think it's acceptable but I wouldn't describe it as being 'good'

Good point IQ...

You can't change the poll once it's posted..... Apparently :(

I did toy with various levels of acceptability but opted for the straight Yes / No as it was becoming complicated.

Well I'm definately bad .........but there again ...........no definately bad ................but on the other hand it could .................NO I'm decided it's definately .....................yes I see your point

Oh drat I must be a fence sitter

Malc, and RWJ ur arses must be sore with all that fence sitting lol

same for me, perfectly acceptable if required although i wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to do it like that

Exactly... I think it's acceptable.. but is it good practise????? (RWJ's still fence sitting)

I think it should have been more a case of "where do you loop to - rose, switch or either?"
I do whatever depending on the circumstances - I wouldn't go out of my way to do either.

So on that basis my first vote is 'undecided', second vote 'OK', third vote 'not OK'.

I think it should have been more a case of "where do you loop to - rose, switch or either?"
I do whatever depending on the circumstances - I wouldn't go out of my way to do either.

So on that basis my first vote is 'undecided', second vote 'OK', third vote 'not OK'.

Oh an AV man lololololololo

You also forgot the singles method! - Not meaning to open up any more worms!

You only have to look at some of the pictures provided in the other thread to see that its bad practise putting so many cables into such a small backbox. Using a switch as a junction box is terrible. The only people to have a switch that encorporates this is hager (as far as I know), so it can't be that common otherwise all the manufacturers would have this encorporated.

Oh yes, the singles method! If I was wiring using singles I would use the singles method. So neither.

You only have to look at some of the pictures provided in the other thread to see that its bad practise putting so many cables into such a small backbox. Using a switch as a junction box is terrible. The only people to have a switch that encorporates this is hager (as far as I know), so it can't be that common otherwise all the manufacturers would have this encorporated.

Put a deep enough box in and I can see nothing wrong with it.

However, if all you are doing is wiring pendants, then I can't really see the point in wiring to the switch first, however, if you want to keep the number of cables down at the light position (say for a fancy light) then its a good way to wire it.

Pros and Cons to both wiring method's, which is why an experienced sparky can decide which method is best before undertaking the wiring!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, who still wires a feed to a joint box in the roof space and wires all switches/lights from that???

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with it ... where it's appropriate. It's like most things you would do it where warranted. For wall lights, I wouldn't hesitate.

Put a deep enough box in and I can see nothing wrong with it.

However, if all you are doing is wiring pendants, then I can't really see the point in wiring to the switch first, however, if you want to keep the number of cables down at the light position (say for a fancy light) then its a good way to wire it.

Pros and Cons to both wiring method's, which is why an experienced sparky can decide which method is best before undertaking the wiring!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, who still wires a feed to a joint box in the roof space and wires all switches/lights from that???[/QUOTE]

That was the way I was taught the old Octopus/spider method, and we had to fit the box with din rails, klippons and label each circuit

the spider and the loop-in to lights are handy for rewire's anyhow

but imo-it should be one 'method' throughout installation

they shouldn't be mixed

Wall lights or downlights would always loop in at the switch for me, pendants at the rose, bathrooms with timed fans etc at the isolator. Saying they shouldn't be mixed is potentially setting yourself up for more grief than you need in my opinion.

i would decide at start on one method

whichever-singles,loop to lites or switches ,spider

but imo 'best practice' is one method throughout

as much as possible anyway-there might be a few lights+switches done different where needed

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to POLL - Neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock