Discuss Ponds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cowanjack

DIY
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have recently installed a pond and run the pump back to a socket in the utility room (three pin plug).

However, I have just got a small shock from the water in the pond! I turned off the socket it’s plugged into but can still detect a voltage in the water. I then turned off the RCD for the downstairs sockets and still get a reading from the pond.

I live in a brand new house so any ideas before I call the builders in to investigate would be appreciated!!

Reeds or reading, is the pond on down circuit or tapped of another RCD side, is there two RCD dual.
Hi, no reeds ? like I say the main rcd should turn off all the sockets but I’m still getting a reading in the water of the pond when either the socket or (more worryingly) the rcd is off.

Hi, Off the electric test screwdriver. Not sure what the reading was though First time though was unfortunately through a shock
Don't trust your neon screwdriver they are incredibly unreliable. If the pump has a 13a plug top on it you should have it PAT tested to start to see if there are any issues with it. Failing that the circuit it is plugged into should be investigated in case there is a broken earth etc. Is the circuit RCD protected?

Don't trust your neon screwdriver they are incredibly unreliable. If the pump has a 13a plug top on it you should have it PAT tested to start to see if there are any issues with it. Failing that the circuit it is plugged into should be investigated in case there is a broken earth etc. Is the circuit RCD protected?
Ok, sparky is coming tomorrow to check. Yep the circuit is RCD protected but the fact that I still got a reading even with the RCD turned off...

The neon screwdriver is next to useless and belongs in the bin so don't trust the 'reading's it gives. Best bet is to let spark test the circuit it is plugged into and check the pump over

Ok, sparky is coming tomorrow to check. Yep the circuit is RCD protected but the fact that I still got a reading even with the RCD turned off...
Thinking about this again. If rcd is, doublepole it's almost certainly the case that the electrical issue and the pond pump are unrelated. Could there be other underground supplies in the area?

Reply to Ponds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock