Discuss Pool LED malfunction in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ps004ynos

DIY
Reaction score
Not sure I'm posting in the right place but:
We had a pool built. There are 5 LED waterfalls installed. The LED strips can toggle between 5 colors. The middle LED strip started malfunctioning. Initially the white color had a mild pink hue, now it only shows Green, Red, Blue. When choosing white, it shows red. When choosing Green, it shows no light.

We had a pool guy come out, looked at it and said the LED strip was dying. I contacted the manufacturer to file a warranty claim, they asked me to pull the LED strip and connect it to another waterfall's power supply, and surprise, the LED strip works fine. So the manufacturer recommended I replace the power cable (not the controller).

Does this makes sense? I'm asking because digging up the cable over 50 feet and having to uproot some landscaping and plants etc. will be inconvenient if this isn't the root cause.

Not sure I'm posting in the right place but:
We had a pool built. There are 5 LED waterfalls installed. The LED strips can toggle between 5 colors. The middle LED strip started malfunctioning. Initially the white color had a mild pink hue, now it only shows Green, Red, Blue. When choosing white, it shows red. When choosing Green, it shows no light.

We had a pool guy come out, looked at it and said the LED strip was dying. I contacted the manufacturer to file a warranty claim, they asked me to pull the LED strip and connect it to another waterfall's power supply, and surprise, the LED strip works fine. So the manufacturer recommended I replace the power cable (not the controller).

Does this makes sense? I'm asking because digging up the cable over 50 feet and having to uproot some landscaping and plants etc. will be inconvenient if this isn't the root cause.
Is the colour change handled by a controller in the plant room? If so can you swap the controller with one of the good ones?

Did you try a good strip in place of the bad one?

If its just got basic certikin transformers theres different terminals to counter volt drop, wouldnt have thought it would matter on leds but check thats been connected properly too

Last edited:
I would think it’s either the controller or the tape, and you’ve eliminated the latter.

A power cable is just a power cable.

Rather than dig it up first, can a new one be laid above ground and used to test the set up?

You did one useful test by connecting the apparently faulty led strip to a different controller, and it worked fine.
it would be useful to do the other test, connecting the now apparently faulty controller to a different good led strip.
If that led strip now misbehaves similarly to your original fault, that's more conclusive evidence it's the controller.
If it doesn't misbehave, and works perfectly, there is perhaps a more subtle fault!

Could the 'power cable' the manufacturer be referring to, is the local cable installed between controller and led tape?

I've had issues with Phillips Hue tape, and 3rd party extension leads I've bought off eBay.

Thanks for input!

Yes I think the “power cable” replacement is the cable between strip and controller.

Will definitely test strip with new cable before digging up old one.

When it stops raining, will test a different strip with the problematic cable!

Reply to Pool LED malfunction in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net