Discuss Pool pump test procedure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My pool pump (230V 1Ph cap start) US Motor k63cxdfw-5159 ) wasn't working so I started to look for a reason. I found the terminal to the output control relay in the Intermatic program timer/ freeze control was burned off. None of the terminals were insulated and very close to each other and found a skeleton of tiny lizard in the wiring area. So I figured the lizard shorted the terminals together. I removed the output wires and tested the relay and got 230 across the DPST contacts as expected so I knew the relay was good. I replaced the terminal with a fully insulated flag, reconnected the wires thinking that would fix it. But when the timer turned the pump on, the motor sparked and smoked and tripped the breaker. I took a Ohm reading on the motor and read .06 ohms between the L1 and L2, and 1.61 ohms between L1 and ground, and 1.61 ohms between L2 and ground. Do these reading indicate the problem? What other tests can I do to the motor and wiring to fix the problem? Thank you in advance for your educated opinion.

!
Do these reading indicate the problem? What other tests can I do to the motor and wiring to fix the problem?
If you really mean 0.06 ohm between L1 and L2, you seem to have pretty well a short circuit across the motor winding.
What are you measuring it with - a digital multimeter?
Have you tried checking the capacitor (disconnected) is not short-circuit?
I would hope with the pump disconnected, there's no continuity between L1 / L2 and the case of the unit!!

If the wires directly from the motor measure such low values, it sounds like the motor is shot, but worth disconnecting it to make sure the control circuit is not introducing the problem.

Reply to Pool pump test procedure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net