Discuss Pool in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Getting a mild shock from a pool. It is a newer pool all bonding is correct. Turned off power still getting shocked. Had the power company come out turn off transformer still getting shocked. Any possible solutions?

Do they have TNCS as we know it in the US
I think it is mostly TN-C-S but with the N-E link in the DB, not the cut-out (which I think they use removable meters in place of our style fuse link), and each property has a couple of earth rods (like the ROI "neutralising" arrangement) providing a bit more earths on the system.

So I would imagine they are prone to the same issue of the pool's earth/ground connection being several volts above the "true Earth" where the pool is located.

For the OP the solutions, if the pool is OK, are probably one of the following:
  • An earth mat buried below the pool area to reduce the potential felt when stepping out
  • Putting the pool on a low-conductivity surface like raised wooden or plastic decking so you don't feel it as much
  • Changing the supply to 'TT' where there is a dedicated RCD (GCFI) for the pool and the earth/ground is taken from a local rod, and not the main house supply earth/ground.
Probably one for @Megawatt advice as one of our USA members?

It’s an inground pool and within a couple years old so house grounding and utility bonding correct
Is this a large concrete base for the pool? Usually they would have bonding to the reinforcing rebar rods, etc., and that largely serves to keep any potential gradient around the pool down.

In the UK if I were looking to install an outdoor pool I wouild probably put it on a TT supply (local earth, not supply) but I don't know if the USA wiring code allows that approach.

It should be possible for an electrician to check to see whether any stay voltages are present...

If it's a mild shock as in a gentle tingle, then it's likely to be some issue with the bonding somewhere, either that has deteriorated since install, or was not quite as thoroughly done as necessary...

Has it developed suddenly, or over time?

US have different codes so can't comment much on that, though in at least some places they seem to actually bond the water over there - The code does seem to recognise an issue with voltage gradients and how to avoid them...

This seems like something for an electrician experienced in pool installs to take a look at and work out what's going on, and to determine the best way to resolve it...

Looks like the NEC code on bonding swimming pools is quite thorough (2014 at least, I believe different places use different variations too...)

Reply to Pool in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock