Discuss poor r1+r2 reading in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some guidance ,i am assisting with the renovation of an old building that contains a commercial kitchen and restaurant the building is in no way wired to commercial spec but has been passed electrically in the past. Very little information was present at all 4 fuse boards and as the building is on a TT system is fitted with a main 3 phase 30ma rcd which i had to disconnect to find all the faults (it has now been replaced with a 100ma one to help with nuisance tripping ) The main problem i had was that according to information at hand gp3 and 4 were fed from the same 32a mcb both boards were disconnected and i did an insulation test to find a dead short . Further investigation and a lot of floor board lifting and i found the swa feeding gp4 had been cut and joined with a hightough cable going to gp3 using a resin joint that i have used previously on underground cables for street lighting and which i have known to go faulty so i have run new cables one from gp1 to gp4 in 10mm t&e which is 22m long and a 6mm t&e which is 20meters long . We have bought in the local guy who has inspected the building before and he wanted to know why this had been done so i explained and showed him the joint he did seem a little sheepish after that and and some of the c2s on his report i am convinced are copied and pasted from the last one! but he has stated that gp4 has a poor cpc r1+r2 earth reading but not said what it is. Could someome please tell me what i should have its a long time since i did any testing and want it sorted sorry to be so long winded but wanted to give you the full picture

I'm confused by what GP stands for?? General power rings?

If he has stated there's a poor reading but doesn't have the result, can you not just test the circuit and find out for yourself and come to your own conclusion? He could be wrong?

I'm confused by what GP stands for?? General power rings?

If he has stated there's a poor reading but doesn't have the result, can you not just test the circuit and find out for yourself and come to your own conclusion? He could be wrong?
agreed just wanted to know what i should have ,the fuse boards are numbered gp1,2,3,and 4 just really want a step by step guide so if he is wrong i have done it properly and he wont throw his toys out of the pram

Still really confused...

So GP1, GP2, GP3 and GP4 are all seperate fuse boards which you've replaced the feeds to?

You've brought someone in to test the cables and they've advised that the cable you've pulled in to feed GP4 DB has an inadequate continuity reading?

Still really confused...

So GP1, GP2, GP3 and GP4 are all seperate fuse boards which you've replaced the feeds to?

You've brought someone in to test the cables and they've advised that the cable you've pulled in to feed GP4 DB has an inadequate continuity reading?
gp1 is the main board it feeds the other 3 i put new cables from gp1 to gp3 and from gp2 to gp4 his comment on the report and i quote "poor cpc r1+r2 earth reading measured on gp4 new sub mains"

He has replaced the supplies to g3 and g4 from g1 because they were faulty one in 6.0 T&E, 20m long the other in 10.0 T&E, 22m long. He wants to know the expected continuity readings of these cables, correct?

He has replaced the supplies to g3 and g4 from g1 because they were faulty one in 6.0 T&E, 20m long the other in 10.0 T&E, 22m long. He wants to know the expected continuity readings of these cables, correct?
i replaced the cables , in his report he has stated poor earth reading on the cable to gp4 but has given me no readings so all i really need is some idea as to what it should be so i can test it myself my testing knowedge is in the dim and distant past just wanted to know a step by step guide

So he is saying your new cable has a poor reading.
The 6.0 cable should be approx 0.21 ohm and the 10.0 cable 0.13 ohm.

How did you get on with this OP?
Thanks for asking did a bit of revision and tested it myself and got 0.9 so i must have got the cable length wrong ,it was very obvious that the guy testing had not removed the cables from the consumer unit which i am assuming skewed his reading . Rang him and all he said was ok i will amend the report!

Reply to poor r1+r2 reading in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net