Discuss Poorly designed wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

goasis

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Does anyone else find that more often than not, no consideration seems to be given in wall light fittings for allowing two cables to fit in properly? Been fitting some led bulkhead type fittings and you'd barely get one t&e into the cable entry let alone the 2 x 3core cables required (emg fittings). 'fancy' bathroom wall lights are often even worse, when they come with those tiny terminal block connectors and rubber sleeve bits!! Frustratingly poor design in my opinion. Grumble over.

Does anyone else find that more often than not, no consideration seems to be given in wall light fittings for allowing two cables to fit in properly? Been fitting some led bulkhead type fittings and you'd barely get one t&e into the cable entry let alone the 2 x 3core cables required (emg fittings). 'fancy' bathroom wall lights are often even worse, when they come with those tiny terminal block connectors and rubber sleeve bits!! Frustratingly poor design in my opinion. Grumble over.
Maybe more consideration should be given to how you install the wiring prior to 2nd fixing, a little more consultation with the customer as to what fittings they intend as the finished article, hard hat well and truly on and chin strap fitted.

Had some on an extension recently, in the end i got so p**sed off trying to fit the wires in, especially in this heat, that I ended up putting a small junction box up in the roof and fed the flex out under the tiles and down the wall before the fascia was put up.
Ideally they would have decided to have them before the work was finished, then I could have had the wires put in at first fix ready for them. nothing worse than a customer who either keeps changing there mind or doesnt know what they want.

You design the installation to cater for the fitting, the fitting is fine its your design/implementation that is at fault. You older sparks need to get out of your comfort zone and move with the times, trimless fittings anyone ;o)))))))

I've just refused to install under cabinet fittings a customer got from Screwfix. (The metal wedge shaped ones, brand name rhymes with cr**)
The are 230v LED, which is fine, but the supply cable fitted is only a 2 core. The label says its double insulated, but its not. There's a little rocker on-off switch on the side.. If the live cable drops out the connection somehow, its going to touch the extraneous conductive part.
I told him to send them back.
Poorly designed wall lights IMG_5068.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If the live cable drops out the connection somehow, its going to touch the extraneous EXPOSEDconductive part.
I told him to send them back.

corrected that for you.

1.5mm2, you extravagant anti-environmental bandit.

1.00mm2 is so much more ecologically sound. :D
till it melts and burns the house down, releasing loads of toxic fumes into the atmosphere.:(:(:(.

Reply to Poorly designed wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock