Discuss Portable generator siting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Like a host of UK residents recently (230% increase in genny sales apparently), I've just invested in a small (3500W) portable, dual fuel generator (floating neutral) I've had some extremely useful advice already from this forum, and plan to run an extension cable from the genny, into the house and power a few class 2 items. 16A 230v premium caravan hook up extension cable has been bought, and other high quality extension leads, plus a surge extension. The generator electrical system will be kept completely separate, independent, from the house's electrical system.

But, the big question. Where to site the genny when its running? Outside is fine, when the weather is equally fine. Over the summer I've spotted a lot of small portable generators at agricultural shows siting on the grass near catering vans, and such. One, a Honda, was actually placed in the back of a van with the door ajar! But with winter coming, rain, wind, snow etc. are assured and these are just the conditions when the mains, overhead cable electricity supply is likely to falter (we had 10 days without any electricity courtesy of storm Arwen last year) and blackouts are possible this winter according to reports, albeit as a worse case scenario. With the increased use of portable generators for home 'back-up' purposes, there must be a lot of people also pondering this question.

We do have a stone built, flagged floor, corrugated roof, out house, with a window and ventilation holes (previously used for animals). But the instructions with every generator I've looked at during my research strongly suggests placing the generator at least 20 feet away from buildings and in the open, clear of windows, etc, and to definitely avoid garages and sheds. 3 feet of space all around, at least, and at least 5 feet from flammable materials. I fully understand how carbon monoxide poisoning is an issue, and there are also potential fire risks from fuel ignition, plus the need to ensure these air-cooled engines have sufficient air flow to avoid over heating.

There are a few 'tent' like designs of generator cover which reputedly allow the generator to be running while still covered. They're relatively expensive, look flimsy, and I can't see they offer much in the way of protection from driving rain, and the few that do seem to offer better protection appear to block air flow, are flammable and certainly don't allow for 3 foot of separation around the generator.

Sorry this isn't directly an electrical question, but it is associated with the use of electrical equipment and safety.

Any suggestions or forumites' experiences shared will be gratefully considered.

how about something like this to keep the wind and rain off?

if need be, you can always cut extra holes in it if you feel the need for extra ventilation.
That's a great suggestion - thanks. I had looked at cheap PVC green houses and even cheap, end of season tents at Gooutdoors, etc. but hadn't considered the plastic kennel. Cheers.

Dual fuel as in petrol/LPG?
What's the IP rating of your genny?
Yes, petrol/LPG. I'm still running it in and have opted to go for propane for my convenience. Bit of an adventure trying to source a 19Kg Calor propane bottle. Seems Calor, according to several retailers, are now reluctant to take on new customers regarding bottles.

It's IP23M - which is obviously low.

Here's the model Champion CGP4000dhy-df

There isn't much chance of CO poisoning if running on LPG. The exhaust comprises almost entirely water vapour and CO2. Never suffered any ill effects from running my car in the garage/workshop for considerable lengths of time with the doors closed.
Not that I'm suggesting you run your genny indoors, although a shed or conservatory with the doors and windows open should be fine. The door between the conservatory and house (which is usually weatherproof) should be firmly closed of course.
IP23 is rated for water up to 15 degrees from the vertical, so should need to far undercover to escape even driving rain.

Very smart looking and would work well. Sadly, I'm trying to keep the cost under ÂŁ100 if possible. Thanks for the suggestion.
Some bricks and a large council paving slab would work.

Yes, petrol/LPG. I'm still running it in and have opted to go for propane for my convenience. Bit of an adventure trying to source a 19Kg Calor propane bottle. Seems Calor, according to several retailers, are now reluctant to take on new customers regarding bottles.

It's IP23M - which is obviously low.

Here's the model Champion CGP4000dhy-df

There isn't much chance of CO poisoning if running on LPG. The exhaust comprises almost entirely water vapour and CO2. Never suffered any ill effects from running my car in the garage/workshop for considerable lengths of time with the doors closed.
Not that I'm suggesting you run your genny indoors, although a shed or conservatory with the doors and windows open should be fine. The door between the conservatory and house (which is usually weatherproof) should be firmly closed of course.
IP23 is rated for water up to 15 degrees from the vertical, so should need to far undercover to escape even driving rain.

Brilliant. I didn't know that (my O-level chemistry was way back in the 1970s!). I also double checked too and other sources are stating "Either natural gas or propane (LPG) appliances can produce carbon monoxide, with incomplete combustion. BUT....Properly functioning gas appliances produce little, if any, carbon monoxide". So that's one less thing to 'over-think'. The genny isn't a leaky LPG stove, it burns the gas well. So, given the lack of any readily combustible materials in the stone shed, and it's clear separation from the house, I think I'll go for that for now.

Thanks again to everyone for helpful comments and suggestions.

If the oxygen supply is restricted, then CO can be produced, but LPG is much more tolerant of a spread of mixture strength than an engine running on petrol.
Carb was blocked on my ride on lawnmower about a month or so ago, so I took off the air filter, got my 3.9Kg propane blowlamp, unscrewed the jet, stuck the nozzle down the air intake, turned on the gas and fired it up. Throttle wide open, and controlled the revs with the blowlamp gas tap. Ran perfectly while I did all 1200m2 of lawn.

Reply to Portable generator siting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock