Discuss portable generator wring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

brightspark26

hi everyone i am a time served electrician and i have been asked to fit a consumer unit with 2 double sockets/ 1 internal light and 2 external lights
in a 12x6 box trailer
it will be supplied from a portable generator and supplied into the trailer via an apliance inlet
i have an issue that it may not be the same generator that supplies the trailer as its used for club events and it all depends what generator is there.I am intending fitting an insulated consumer unit with 30ma rcd main switch but im conserned about the earth issue
any ideas would be great

Tell whoever owns the trailer to buy their own genny to go with it.

You can't budget for the totally unknown, no one can.

Sect 717 covers the basics but for the life of me I can't remember if we TT'd the whole lot and had bonding through the supply cable, years of alcohol abuse has ruined that for me...

Some info here...

Wiring Matters - 2011 issues - IET Electrical

Issue 39, summer 2011.

Also see attached PDF.

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem i have is that the generator that will be used is unknown so i dont know if its a floating earth etc

I got a generator with an earth spike and I connected the trailer up as per normal wiring and my tested showed no earth. So I bridged out n-e at the appliance inlet and then it showed and earth and allowed the red to trip. Is this the best way to do this ?

I got a generator with an earth spike and I connected the trailer up as per normal wiring and my tested showed no earth. So I bridged out n-e at the appliance inlet and then it showed and earth and allowed the red to trip. Is this the best way to do this ?

Hasn't this turned the installation into a TN system ?

I fitted a c form appliance inlet then hard wired from there.
The cable from the generator to the trailer was a flex in good condition.
I just want to make sure this is the correct method. I may bridged it out at the appliance inlet as the generator was hired in for 1 day. They are planning on buying a generator with a earth spike etc soon

Reply to portable generator wring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock