Discuss Portakabin supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all,

Had a request to install a power supply to a temporary cabin which will have basic utilities like a heater, lighting and a socket. I have no details yet of the actual cabin so will need to get this information, what would you suggest for the circuits at the cabin end, an MCB? I can pick up a single phase power supply from a local switchroom where the majority of the cable run will be on overhead cable tray. Thanks in advance.

It kind of depends on how it is fed I guess, and access to the switchroom to reset anything that has tripped.

If the workers can't easily get to the switchroom or the options for RCBO use there are limited, then you really want to put the RCD protection in the cabin. That in turn means your feed has to be adequately protected against shock from any damage, so SWA or Flexishield.

An RCD at the cabin would also be essential if it is a TT supply (e.g. on building site with TN-C-S main supply), but if there is little worry over a PME fault then you could just use the supply earth and not a local rod.

You might find it already has a CU with incomer RCD and a few MCB anyway, so the only issue becomes back to the above of it not being selective with any switchroom 30mA RCD. Otherwise the cheap option is something like the garage CU with 2 or 3 MCB slots to play with:

Depending on the loads in the cabin, and the feed cable & OCPD, you might want to drop the sockets from a 32A MCB to 20A to try and gain a little more selectivity on over-current (but you will not ever do terribly well that way).

The cabin will be prewired with its own consumer unit. 10.0 swa on a 50A mcb will be fine, you won't achieve selectivity but is only a temp supply.

Thanks for the info, I contacted the supplier and it comes equipped with a 32A mcb prewired to the circuits inside, also a local isolator on the exterior of the cabin. A 3 core swa 10mm2 cable shall be fine.

Reply to Portakabin supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock