Discuss Possible AWOL electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Redjeff

DIY
Reaction score
Evening,

I am currently having some work carried out by an electrician. I am happy with the work etc but it is becoming increasingly difficult to get hold of the spark.
I hope it doesn't come to it, but what would happen in the event I need to employ another spark to finish off the works?
He has installed first fix wiring, I have now plasterboarded over it. The consumer unit in the house and another in the out building are yet to be fitted along with all the sockets etc, and then signing off.
I know sparks don't like signing off other sparks work, so where do I stand here?

Thanks

Getting someone else in would be the last resort as it would bring a new set of problems.

I would communicate with the electrician telling them where you are at and see what they reply.

No payment has been made at all yet, I would of course be happy to agree a fee based on the hours worked if they decided they were done with the job.

Timelines a bit fractured as there have been some hours here and some there, it's more the case of now becoming hard to contact him and lack of returning my calls.

Like I say it's early days yet, but I just wonder what my choices would be.

No payment has been made at all yet, I would of course be happy to agree a fee based on the hours worked if they decided they were done with the job.

Timelines a bit fractured as there have been some hours here and some there, it's more the case of now becoming hard to contact him and lack of returning my calls.

Days, weeks, months......how long since they skipped the country?

Last edited:

I would endeavour to maintain the original electrician to complete the job if possible. As you say you will find most electricians will be loathe to take on a half complete job and sign their name to it. This will narrow the field of available electricians greatly in my opinion.

I would endeavour to maintain the original electrician to complete the job if possible. As you say you will find most electricians will be loathe to take on a half complete job and sign their name to it. This will narrow the field of available electricians greatly in my opinion.
That's what I thought. Well I hope he comes good then, after all he's a decent spark.
[automerge]1595283115[/automerge]
Days, weeks, months......how long since they skipped the country?..time wise.
It's only been a week so far, so not overly concerned just yet but I do have to get on with finishing it so there is a timescale involved. I can plaster some of it but will be held up soon....

Last edited:
Contact is the word. They've not exactly gone AWOL after a week. It could be any small problem but, if they've first fixed without payment, the odds are in your favour.

Contact is the word. They've not exactly gone AWOL after a week. It could be any small problem but, if they've first fixed without payment, the odds are in your favour.
Yes I agree it was just a loose term I used. I think the lack of contact is quite odd, phonecalls and messages have been left with no reply whatsoever.

Some tradesmen (not just electricians) can be exceptionally poor at managing their time and communicating with customers - it's not necessarily that they don't care about your time, but simply don't understand how frustrating that lack of communication can be or not realising how it might have a knock on effect.

If you trust this one and rate their work, it might be worth waiting for them to get in touch. You could try explaining that you understand how busy they are and that they might get called away, but that it would be really appreciated if they could keep you in the loop - be careful with this as you really don't want to broach the subject in a manner that might cause offence :eek:

Another possibility is that they've been involved in an accident or had some sort of family emergency that puts customers to the back of their mind.

phonecalls and messages have been left with no reply whatsoever.
He may not have got your messages, or may have been very busy with other work, or perhaps doesn't know yet the exact day that he'll be back so has held off answering. These are all just possible scenarios. Obviously I don't know which (if any) of these is accurate.

We are living in weird times. He might have a family issue going on? I dont get a mobile signal at home so if anyone rings me it can be days before I get the message if I'm not leaving home.

We are living in weird times. He might have a family issue going on? I dont get a mobile signal at home so if anyone rings me it can be days before I get the message if I'm not leaving home.
Yes I agree. There is no problem with phone signal etc, we actually know him through the same circles
It doesn't really matter the cause of it though, but what happens if I need to get someone else?

If you believe that he will not come back and finish the job, you need to get a couple of other electricians round ASAP to look at the job and quote.
At the same time , you should email the original guy along the lines of

Dear spark,
Regarding the work carried out at ...address...
And subsequently being uncontactable, I have to assume that there is no real prospect of you finishing the work within the agreed timetable.
I estimate the value of materials and labour to date at a value of ÂŁ---
Please send me a final invoice so we can part on good terms.

If you are intending on completing the work, please respond within 24hours giving an up to date schedule of works.

If you believe that he will not come back and finish the job, you need to get a couple of other electricians round ASAP to look at the job and quote.

Dear spark,
And subsequently being uncontactable, I have to assume that there is no real prospect of you finishing the work within the agreed timetable.

If you are intending on completing the work, please respond within 24hours giving an up to date schedule of works.
Thanks James.

Do you think a spark will be happy enough to carry on with the works despite not first fixing? Nothing is connected and the consumer units still need to be fitted, but it's not being able to see what's been done so far....

Some will, some won’t.
It is important to clarify this with them when they come to quote.
Ask them what type of certification they will supply on completion.
If building control is involved, then they should also be informed of the issue. They will probably accept an eicr instead of an installation certificate in this instance but check with them first if required.

Dear spark,

24 hours would not be considered a reasonable timeframe for a response.

Sorry jeff, but you give the impression of looking for a way out of things.
I may be getting the wrong angle but I still can't understand why you'd want to get other contractors involved after such a short time.

Besides, it may lead to 'sparks flying' in the near future..........;)

Reply to Possible AWOL electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net