Discuss possible career change, please help advise, 23 year old, apprenticeship? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

djinuk

Im just after some advice. A little about myself first.
I studied and got straight C gcses, then went on and did a alevel in business studies, i then left school and got a job with a lintel manufacture, this job role saw me doing everything, from working on the yard, manifesting truck plans, loading/unloading trucks, i then went on to work for keylite roof windows as a service engineer which saw me repairing a lot of electrical roof windows, I then went on to work for another building supply manufacturer within a technical department, this saw me studying elevation drawings and offering technical guidance.
Now on another not i spend a lot of my spare time working with cars, from rebuilding engines from the ground up , to repainting and repairing accident damage cars, (particularly older track cars) aswell as welding and everything else which comes with it.
Basically im now at a point where im thinking my ideal career would be based within the building trade however something a little more hands on than sitting within an office.
With these points in mind it has brought me to looking at possibly training to be a sparky, now my question is whats the best approach, could i get a funded apprenticeship?, ive been looking at parkers in particular and thinking about putting together a cv with a cover letter explaining my background and what i would like to do
any advise much appreciated.

Well first off change the font on your computer ...............that is far too small.

Parkers...........is that Parkers Steel Canterbury???

An apprenticeship is without doubt IMO the best way to go. It will give you a much better insight into the industry and more complete training, it is just a matter of getting one really.

Apprenticeships can be quite difficult to get! My brother-in-law applied to quite alot of apprenticeships and in the end gave up and is now working as a tiler (I think that's the right spelling). I now work with these guys:
Electrician Training with RF Training.

They can be quite pricey but help you get a job or set up your own business and work with emergency call-out providers which definately helps when your starting out.

You could also consider things like franchise's as some franchisors work with training providers and get you trained up and out working under their name. the money you make each month may be slimmer but gets you trained and work!!

good luck

apologies on the font,

thanks for the advise, ill take a look tonight, its definatly somthing i think i would be suited to, i guess the most difficult thing is getting the job in the first place.

re: RF training. Free toolkit and megger. But can you really become a spark in 7 weeks? After 7 weeks I was still trying to understand my battery drill! i suppose its a step up from the 5 week course though.

Reply to possible career change, please help advise, 23 year old, apprenticeship? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net