Discuss Possible connectors - 2 way + intermediate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

What options do I have when connecting the common cable in a 2 way + Intermediate light circuit. (Side question - what would this circuit be called in industry?)

I'm using 3 core and earth.

If I'm not wrong, the black common cable would be connected together (and not in a terminal on the switch) at the intermediate switch. What fittings can I use to do this?

I'm practicing wiring up different types of circuits and the minute so I'm after the cheapest option. But I do want to know of all/different options available.

Thanks everyone,

Hi all,

What options do I have when connecting the common cable in a 2 way + Intermediate light circuit. (Side question - what would this circuit be called in industry?)

I'm using 3 core and earth.

If I'm not wrong, the black common cable would be connected together (and not in a terminal on the switch) at the intermediate switch. What fittings can I use to do this?

I'm practicing wiring up different types of circuits and the minute so I'm after the cheapest option. But I do want to know of all/different options available.

Thanks everyone,
Crimp and heatshrink, Wago.

There are no set conventions for colours to use, but if you look in the IET On Site Guide on page 85 it shows a typical two-way switch set up and they are using:
  • Brown = permanent live strapper
  • Black = common switch pole
  • Grey = switched live strapper
As already said, the black & grey should be sleeved with brown to indicate they are live (but that is one of these slightly-pointless steps given they are all phase colours!).
[automerge]1587814967[/automerge]
Also the same diagram appears in the IET's "Guidance Note 1: Selection and Erection" as Figure 7.2 on page 100

Last edited:
Sorry one more to think about "Fire Nuts" Screwits, wire nuts. I believe CEF sell them.
To think about and quickly dismiss! Wago style joints are far nicer and more flexible, and probably more reliable long-term than the screw terminal "choc block" style.

The clip-operated Wago work for any sort of wire.

The push-in Wago, while quicker/smaller/cheaper, are difficult to reuse (or fix a mistake) and are only suited to solid core wire and not stranded. To be fair, most domestic work is 1.0 or 1.5 T&E for lights or 2.5 T&E for a ring final and they with solid cores anyway.

Sorry one more to think about "Fire Nuts" Screwits, wire nuts. I believe CEF sell them.
Should really have said screwits are a joke, or lol, cuz someone was bound to comment, still never mind Eh, although I did say they were something to think about, a big ref cross is a bit OTT in my book.

Reply to Possible connectors - 2 way + intermediate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net