Discuss Possibly fried circuitry, Need HELP! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BeardedBarber

So I bought a pair of oster clippers from the states, took them to a guy who owns a hardware shop and asked what I needed he handed me a Us to Uk adapter and everything was fine. I used the clippers for maybe 5 weeks before they started cutting out when they were moved abit harshly, it gradually got worse now they dont come on at all. I asked the guy who sold me the adapter what would happen if they needed a converter and he said they would instantly blow, so I was wondering if you guys think that these clippers are salvageable at all...?
Thanks

Oh dear, doesn't sound good.

What is the voltage stated on the clippers? Can you give the make and model number of the 'US to UK' adapter they sold you as well or maybe attach some pictures.

Its not the voltage increase or decrease...the problem is American 60hz system...uk is 50hz so it tends to fry motors

The clippers are Oster classic 76 the voltage on them is 110, I think the adapter was just a basic adapter he didn't really say much about it, its in work ATM so I'll check tomorrow.

If the motor is fried is there anything I can do too fix them?

No...this is a problem with 60hz motors they don`t like 50hz supplies, have had so much trouble with commercial american motors in the past overheating.

Time to buy Blitish or made in china as we say

I'm not a clipper expert by any means and I don't have time to investigate right now but do the clippers actually have a motor? If it's just a basic sprung solenoid type of arrangement like the Wahl clippers I have at home then 50 or 60 Hz shouldn't make a difference to life expectancy.

Its a rotary motor I believe, they are alot more powerful and louder than a wahl

Motors are never inherently universal voltage, they all require some form of switching. If the clipper was designed to be universal voltage without having to operate a selector switch, it would have something like a DC motor and internal voltage conversion circuit - a couple of Philips shavers I've had over the years worked this way - in which case the frequency wouldn't matter either. Put another way, if the 50Hz isn't suitable, then neither is the 230V.

Tazz is right about 60Hz motors overheating on 50Hz but that would be after re-connection for 230V or when fed via a transformer. In any case I doubt the clippers have an induction motor.

Reply to Possibly fried circuitry, Need HELP! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock