Discuss Possibly just me but i just get really insulted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys

I have started getting emails from MEN at the age of 30 wanting to be my apprentice, the whole thing is insulting.
im sorry your job in finance did not work out and you think you can be a fully qualified spark in 1 year. it took me 5 years of graft to become a fully served spark in 2011 man and boy.

Is this a new phenomenon?

I have an apprentice starting in February...He's actually older than me:D Hes in insurance ATM and the company he works for let's every employee have a 6 month sabbatical once throughout their employment. He's paying for his own college and if it doesn't work out then he still has his job to walk back into. I have two young apprentices who are decent but i went through a few finding them...most wasn't interested, didn't have what it takes, lazy, didn't want to do any over time etc. I'm looking forward to taking on an apprentice who has responsibilities like a morgage and kids as they will be keen to learn so the money goes up quicker and in every day as they have bills to pay. I think it means a lot If someone's willing to pay for their own training, use their savings to live whilst they're on a low wage and go down the correct route of doing an apprenticeship.

I think it means a lot If someone's willing to pay for their own training, use their savings to live whilst they're on a low wage and go down the correct route of doing an apprenticeship.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but in a traditional sense it takes a few year to become competent how are you supposed to pay that person a salary that reflects this skill set that is mutually beneficial.
an apprentice you can pay £60 a day how will that person with children survive unless you pay them much more than they are worth?

Hello guys

I have started getting emails from MEN at the age of 30 wanting to be my apprentice, the whole thing is insulting.
im sorry your job in finance did not work out and you think you can be a fully qualified spark in 1 year. it took me 5 years of graft to become a fully served spark in 2011 man and boy.

Is this a new phenomenon?

Sorry Chris I'm not sure what your problem is.
Someone asks you if you are taking on apprentices and you're insulted by this?
Did the person say he expected it to take 1 year? if so you just need to explain the reality of the situation to him.

I think it means a lot If someone's willing to pay for their own training, use their savings to live whilst they're on a low wage and go down the correct route of doing an apprenticeship.

He's starting on £50 a day....He has savings to supplement the low wage. His money will reflect his development after a year he could be on 80 a day, 2nd year 100 a day, 3rd year £120 day.

I'd go as far as to say that someone like the chap Lee is taking on would generally be a lot less hassle than your average 16-18 year old nowadays,and potentially a very good future asset.
I'm lucky that my son has a nice attitude, manners and is keen to learn, customers always say what a nice lad he is too , increasingly rare in that age group from what I see these days.

Sorry Chris I'm not sure what your problem is.
Someone asks you if you are taking on apprentices and you're insulted by this?
Did the person say he expected it to take 1 year? if so you just need to explain the reality of the situation to him.
I suppose without looking into their personal circumstances i feel a bit insulted because they view a trade as dirty seconds, and they are going on courses with private companies which have all been turned into tick boxes in exams which cheapens the trade.
I think i am being a bit precious about the whole thing upon reflection but just wanted opinions i suppose to see how irrational or not i am being

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd take insult from it. These people are trying to make a career change and are doing it out their own pockets. It might not be the most ideal way of doing it but there is really no other way. The positive from that is at least they are trying to gain practical experience by working with and being mentored by someone who has been in the game for many years, as opposed to doing the 5 month course and then getting out on the streets as an "electrician".

Reply to Possibly just me but i just get really insulted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net