Discuss Possibly stupid questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
These are possibly a stupid questions as I know nothing about electrical wiring. I was wondering if it is possible to install a nema 14-50 outlet in an outdoor condo parking lot. There seems to be power boxes on the ground nearby which I assume is where the sprinklers draw their power from. If the issue is that the 14-50 draws too much power, then a normal 20amp outlet would be acceptable as well.

If the above is possible, is it also possible to have the power used by this specific outlet charged to my electric account/bill?

The scenario here is the feasibility of charging an electric car in an outdoor condo parking lot without existing outlets. I also understand this will need HOA approval but wanted to ask first if it was possible or not.

Last edited:
These are possibly a stupid questions as I know nothing about electrical wiring. I was wondering if it is possible to install a nema 14-50 outlet in an outdoor condo parking lot. There seems to be power boxes on the ground nearby which I assume is where the sprinklers draw their power from. If the issue is that the 14-50 draws too much power, then a normal 20amp outlet would be acceptable as well.

If the above is possible, is it also possible to have the power used by this specific outlet charged to my electric account/bill?

The scenario here is the feasibility of charging an electric car in an outdoor condo parking lot without existing outlets. I also understand this will need HOA approval but wanted to ask first if it was possible or not.

First off, NEMA 14-50P is 50A. So your talking quite a difference in wire size. It's more like a range or dryer plug.
Second, I've never heard of a sprinkler needing power at the sprayer outlets. They maybe connected to a time clock at the connection on the other end.
However, If there is an actual box for electrical in the ground nearby, you could run something to a pole or nearby wall, etc. Would have to be rated for the application. Also begs the question; if that is an inground electrical box, is the conduit from the panel big enough to add a circuit if needed.
Now if you all this is done & you want to monitor the usage, YES. You would need something like a CT (current transformer) on the wires, after the breaker. Ive done this very thing on a few occasions. They make kits that come with digital read outs. You'd have to buy the correct one for your application. You would probably have to have someone trustworthy to read it because your utility would NOT be interested.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Reply to Possibly stupid questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock