Discuss Post 2365 Help....Life after the course! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mob.MCR

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi, just completed my 2365 and 18th edition last week, was just wondering if anyone can help me on a few of these points:

1) Acquiring an ECS card......I qualified last Thursday, the centre say my certs won't be ready for 4-8 weeks, when I rang up the ECS they said before I can apply for my stage 3 trainee card, I need my certs and an employers reference (how do I get one before I have a job, without getting a friend to botch one up), is there any way around these obstacles? I only ask as 95% of the Mate/Improver jobs I have tried to apply for require an ECS. I don't want to wait 8 weeks before getting on the tools!

2) How far should I go with regards my own tools? I was thinking a decent selection of Hand tools, a multifunction tester, clamp meter and impact driver. If anyone has recommendations on brands etc...I have a budget of 2.5k

3) Anyone know of any good firms to work for in the Manchester area?

Would really like to get going and get out working, so really want to get all the red tape boxed off, if anyone has anything to add please feel free.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, just completed my 2365 and 18th edition last week, was just wondering if anyone can help me on a few of these points:

1) Acquiring an ECS card......I qualified last Thursday, the centre say my certs won't be ready for 4-8 weeks, when I rang up the ECS they said before I can apply for my stage 3 trainee card, I need my certs and an employers reference (how do I get one before I have a job, without getting a friend to botch one up), is there any way around these obstacles? I only ask as 95% of the Mate/Improver jobs I have tried to apply for require an ECS. I don't want to wait 8 weeks before getting on the tools!

2) How far should I go with regards my own tools? I was thinking a decent selection of Hand tools, a multifunction tester, clamp meter and impact driver. If anyone has recommendations on brands etc...I have a budget of 2.5k

Would really like to get going and get out working, so really want to get all the red tape boxed off, if anyone has anything to add please feel free.

Thanks in advance!
Rome wasn't built in a Day Mate. Patience is a virtue

you don't need a MFT.your employer should provde that when and if you need it. depending on what type of work you will be doing ( building site. industrial,commercial,domestic ) will determine what hand tools would be appropriate.

I suspect the OP needs to earn cash to pay for the courses and bills. Could you not work as an electricians mate or what ever its called now in the meantime, not withstanding that probably needs similar ECS certification.

I suspect the OP needs to earn cash to pay for the courses and bills. Could you not work as an electricians mate or what ever its called now in the meantime, not withstanding that probably needs similar ECS certification.

Thankfully, all bills are paid, saved up the money before I enrolled, but I am a bit skint as I have been put on part time hours at work, whilst I was on the course, so just want out of my current job in hospitality asap!! But yer I suppose patience is the only way to go! Sadly need a ECS to be a Mate/Improver!

Good luck with the employment side of things, I know how difficult it is finding an entry point to the Electrical industry.

I have always only supplied my own hand tools. Everything else I've needed has always been provided i.e. test equipment and power tools but I would imagine that every company has their own rules on what they'll provide... The best bet is to probably hold off on anything majorly expensive till you've found an employer who can tell you what they'll provide.

I'd get hand tools for 1st & 2nd fix, simple socket tester/fuse finder, basic lockout kit (just an MCB isolator and padlock) and 2 pole tester.

Everything else (power tools & testers), employers should provide. With your own hands tools, you'll know thier history, employers tools, not so much.

Hi mate, in a very similar situation myself. Finished my Level 3 in July this year and not a clue on how to get an ECS card because of the employment brick wall, let alone first steps into the trade, just so you know you ain't alone in this one! The lads above have some great advice, I highly recommend getting yourself some sort of a toolkit together, which I think you are, as it's something you can mention on your CVs & cover letters and in interviews. Just keep in mind that it's not going to happen straight away, it's genuinely difficult to find someone who's going to take you on right out of college & I know that from experience! My main advice would be what I try to do, apply to as many firms as you can, send out emails and consider backtracking a bit by looking into getting an apprenticeship, it sounds ---- and you'll be on min wage, but experience is what blokes like us need to get in. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks in advance!
Who did you do your training with?, Go to them and ask for them to apply for e certs, your level 2 is passed on the day you take the final exams, your level 3 needs to be marked due to the design project, with a level 2 cert you can get your card

Who did you do your training with?, Go to them and ask for them to apply for e certs, your level 2 is passed on the day you take the final exams, your level 3 needs to be marked due to the design project, with a level 2 cert you can get your card

I did it with tradeskills4U will actually see if that can be done! Thanks!

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate, hope u are doing well and have found somewhere by now. Remembered this post after returning to looking for my start in the trade and wondered if you had gotten anywhere? If not then I would recommend going for CSCS, electrical quals don't make you eligible but you can do a half-day course & test for £100-200 and do the test the day after. You will stand some chance with a majority of electrical mate jobs after that, I've found a bloke who has offered to give me the job as soon as I get my CSCS green card.

Cheers.

Hi mate, hope u are doing well and have found somewhere by now. Remembered this post after returning to looking for my start in the trade and wondered if you had gotten anywhere? If not then I would recommend going for CSCS, electrical quals don't make you eligible but you can do a half-day course & test for £100-200 and do the test the day after. You will stand some chance with a majority of electrical mate jobs after that, I've found a bloke who has offered to give me the job as soon as I get my CSCS green card.

Cheers.

Hey mate!

Yer little update on me, went for the ECS Labourer card, received it within 2 weeks after passing their Health and Safety Exam which was 50 quid.

Just started basic labouring through an agency, managed to get talking to sparks that came to do that job, now employed by them! Loving it! Currently on a big 300 room hotel project great fun!

Best of luck to you mate!!

Reply to Post 2365 Help....Life after the course! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock