Discuss Potential hazard or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We've had a safety memo sent out to us all today regarding a new type of compressor we are using.
In a nutshell, its single phase, ran off a plug top to a rotary isolator on the unit. The L/N/E all go through the isolator, so.. when you switch off the isolator, you're switching the L,N AND E.
The H&S have identified a potential hazard where 'this wiring could lead to a potential electric shock, if the unit develops a fault in the wiring between the main plug socket and the unit mains isolator, if the mains isolator switch is OFF'.

Forgive my stupidity (or maybe not), but I fail to see how this could cause an electric shock if the mains isolator is OFF. The only issue I can see is, if the rotary isolators L2 contact (where the Earth is connected into) for whatever reason failed/burnt out etc, and L1 (Live) and L3 (Neutral) were fine, you could have a situation where you have no earth to the compressor at all. Which of course is an issue.

I may be reading this wrong, or they may have made an error.. Suggestions open.....

Consider the isolator is faulty and in the off position still maintains a L feed only due to mechanical failure, you have effectively put a feed to a unit and disconnected the earth, also in such set up, the N would float at 230v which heightens the risk of shock to a user, another scenario would be water ingress to a isolator in the off position could track to the load without an earth... there are many examples and scenarios as to why this is dangerous and why regulations do not allow it.

Last edited:
Also, the capacitor/s within the compressor may remain energised after the CPC is isolated, the appliance is Class 1 therefore depends on the CPC else in a fault condition a shock may result from touching the casing.

Reply to Potential hazard or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock