Discuss Potential overload of ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
At a house viewing I saw a dozen electric radiators connected mainly by plugs into wall sockets, one or two (in bathrooms) connected to fused spurs. I calculated nearly 14Kw and I'm given to understand all these rads are connected to either of two ring mains with 32A breakers.

A quick look at the consumer unit showed all the powerful stuff on dedicated circuits, apart from washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, steam oven, so these must be plugged into one or other of the two ring mains. There was no dedicated circuit for the electric rads.

I know you can have unlimited sockets for a floor area > 100m2, but I would have thought all those rads on a cold winter's day would cause tripping? I'm looking at having to re-wire if I go ahead with the house, unless anyone disagrees?

Cheers

You'll need to investigate further, assuming the rads are on stats then some diversity may possibly be applied. It would be usual to have an electric heating system on dedicated circuits though, not on a ring for general use.

Thanks guys, seems like my sinking feeling is justified. Funny thing is all the rads have moulded plugs so they are designed to plug in. It's going to cost a fortune to run a dedicated service I would have thought right round the house.

I think you need more info ............ some of those wall mounted heaters are only 750w each!
Yes I saw some of them were lower than that, and then some a lot higher. I reckon they all add up to around 14Kw and are not on a dedicated circuit, and since they plug into wall sockets they must be on one or other of the ring mains, hence my concern.

Got to be the most Expensive way to heat a house......Can central heating not be installed? (Gas or oil) If not maybe install economy 7 heating?
Unfortunately there's no mains gas. To install an oil tank and boiler plus a full system is going to cost thousands I would have thought.

Yes I saw some of them were lower than that, and then some a lot higher. I reckon they all add up to around 14Kw and are not on a dedicated circuit, and since they plug into wall sockets they must be on one or other of the ring mains, hence my concern.
Not ring mains any more Callcom, Ring Final Circuit, RFC for short, not to confused with a Radial Final Circuit.

It is unlikely to cause tripping of the mcb due to the diversity of the loads, however it is a pretty poor setup.

How well insulated is the property? Improving the insulation may reduce the amount of heat input required and thus reduce the problem and your electricity bills.

Back to the OP:

Is this a house you are thinking of buying?

If so commission a local decent spark to do an EICR and don't be fobbed off with a drive past sub £100 report. A decent report, in your area is going to cost £150 upwards and take half a day or more.

You could specify, that the EICR looks closely at the electric radiators too, so you can get decent information too.

You never know, there could be a 2nd fuse board and the "old" storage heater circuits have been used.

It is unlikely to cause tripping of the mcb due to the diversity of the loads, however it is a pretty poor setup....Hi Bills )
Diversity produced by thermosts is OK , until
they are all synchronised by a Thermal effect ,like turning off
for a few days holiday -(with no background heating) .
Then coming back whens its cold and switching them all back on at same time (Just like a power cut)

Well, Christmas over, with a house full, immersions on, all heating turned up, two ovens on etc etc, and not a hint of a problem. So I guess I'll just go with it for the foreseeable until and unless anything does happen. Bearing in mind we've had a few cold snaps, including the last couple of days, I'm optimistic that my concerns were unfounded. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

If you want to do some checking by yourself, you could get a cheap clamp meter like this LAP Digital Clamp Meter 600A - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-digital-clamp-meter-600a/8906f
and keep and eye on what the actual load of each circuit is.

Reply to Potential overload of ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net