Discuss Pottery Kiln??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sl1210

Has anyone ever fitted a pottery kiln before???

I have to go and have a look at a customers house tomorrow. Now by what i gather and he has told me he has a garage with a re-wireable fusebox (1 socket, 1 lighting circuit, 1 spare), fed from twin and earth cable under the floorboards i think 4mm maybe 6mm run from another 1 way re-wirebale fusebox on a 30a re-wireable fuse.

I think the kiln is 6 or 7 kw so i have already told him he is very close to the load if it is 4mm t+e and not 6mm.

Now i'm assuming this kiln would need to be rcd protected also. so either replace the garage fusebox or the one supplying it with rcd protection???

Your thoughts on the subject please

why does it need RCD? also check that it's not 3 phase.

no its single phase. i'm just assuming it needs an rcd, just like an oven no???

If its a 3036 rewireable fuse then the cable size required will be a minimum of 6mm dont forget the correction factor of .725 for rewireable fuses as for the RCD may not be required depending on installation methods etc

what if i replaced the re-wireble fusebox in the house supplying the garage with a 1 way rcd shower fusebox with a 32a mcb. then it wouldn't be supplied from a re-wireable.

i know the twin and earth realistically going to the garage should be armoured but he has wooden flooring and he won't want to start messing with that. i think it goes through the floorboards for about 4 metres so it isn't a very long run.

though the fusebox in the garage supplying the kiln would be a re-wirebale but i would change it to a 32a wylex mcb???

RCD is not required on an oven. it may be required if cable is buried <50mm deep in a wall. it may be required for fault protection on a TT system. but not for an oven per se.

as long as disconnection time is met for a fuse and the cable is capable of carrying the load, , then replacing with MCB would only be window dressing.

Avoid a RCD if you can. The bricks in the kiln are porous so will cause trouble.
When you first fire it up build the temperature up gradually to avoid damage to the bricks.

yep from what i've just researched it might not be such a good idea to fit an rcd. i think i might just replace the re-wireable fuses with mcbs

Pottery Kiln??? barbra baron 005.JPG - EletriciansForums.netBe carefull replacing rewireable fuses with MCB,s that you dont expose the terminals on the board ,when you remove the flash cover from these boards there is a small hole exposing the fuses , had an eldery chap manage to hook a coat hanger in one

Attachments

• Pottery Kiln??? barbra baron 004.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    barbra baron 004.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 44
cheers mate. i think he knows not to do that.

it turned out it was only 3.5 kw kiln in the end with a commando plug top lead, so i just put it on a 16a mcb feeding a 16a 230v commando socket.

Reply to Pottery Kiln??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock