Discuss Powder coat oven keeps tripping mains rcd all off a sudden? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Okay my powder coat oven i built was fine until today!

I had it working kept on for more than an hour etc

Pretty pleased with it all

2 x 2000w elements fitted and then wired into a 32a blue socket to the 42a isolator switch

But today its started tripping i looked insid emy control panel and all looks good and heating elements heat up maybe for 2 mins, then trips my mains rcd

I was guessing damp weather? condensation or something? as was working okay and for no reason today starts tripping all off a sudden? any idea guys?

DSC05777.JPG

DSC05778.JPG

DSC05779.JPG

DSC05780.JPG

It could be several issues, but damp ingress into the elements wouldn't be my first thought as it powers them up for 2mins and any damp would be eliminated in that process, are there any timed controls that operate about that time like a fan etc, it could also be a failing element which leaks down due to expansion once it has heated up, I would just disconnect the elements one at a time and see if problem clears first before going any deeper.

What other circuits are fed from the RCD that trips?

Thanks, None others trip! Its something to do with the oven heating up and tripping wasnt doing this before until today?

I was thinking its gotta be a damp issue!

But i dont know, I think i will dissconnect the elements one by one, not sure how it was working but now it isnt! I had an air compressor 16a on the wired into the same RED DIAL" Isolator switch but the compressor wasnt on and doubt thats the cause as was all working okay until today,

Darkwood i meant damp on the cables going to the elements, see my new picss please

Finger points to the RCD that trips! Nothing else is on in my house other than the normal house items!

See the cables "Going in at the bottom" ? I thinking that might be the issue? the cold maybe? earth? This dont worry was going to get fixed! and was just tempoary like this! Its not sheilded etc and i bought the correct "Oven high Temp" cable and High Temp crimps

DSC05782.JPG

DSC05783.JPG

LOL Calculator yes even i know it draws around 21a 4000kw lol

Yes im going to fix the input to the rough metal, agreed

But this was working before and now is not!

Whats JB ??

Was also wondering

Why does it trip the Main RCD and not the dedicated 40A MCB ??

So what does 2 x 2000w heating elements = 4000w = into amps dude?

RCDS are tripped by current leaking to earth. MCBS are tripped by overcurrent or short circuit
ah ha

So you think my earth is leaking? on my oven somewhere?

Not necessarily the oven. As I say there are many other things fed from that RCD. Could be anything on there, including wiring / junction boxes etc.

Disagree dude, As only when the oven is switch on it trips!

I admire your versatility, building your own unit but I'm afraid, judging from the your posts, your electrical knowledge and experience seems extremely limited.
Safety problems abound....and that's without seeing internal connections, etc.
It really is frightening that things like this exist as part of a domestic installation, without a true and proper design system.

Dam , Just had on for 5 Mins then Main RCB went again!!

Tomorrow when its brighter i will try One element at a time, though both are heating up okay for 2-5 mins then WHOOP RCB Switches off!

Im using all 32-40a Circuits, Only that OVEN Wire looks very thin, but its meant for oven use? but all my other cables are much thicker

Does anyone else have any good suggestions in what is wrong here??

DSC05786.JPG

DSC05787.JPG

Reply to Powder coat oven keeps tripping mains rcd all off a sudden? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net