Discuss Power and Data, Audio & Visual in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinion about running power cables, data cables AV too, do you guys run this in the same trunking next to each other?

Is there a law that should be followed Ive seen plenty of these around.

Thanks

You might want to bear in mind electromagnetic interference between data and power circuits.
I seem to recall there was a minimum 50mm separation between ELV and LV circuits if there was no other barriers in place, I am not sure if that is actually mentioned in the regs as I don't have mine to hand.
Every job I have been on we use separate containment and a minimum of 250mm between data and power circuits.
The installation of Band I and Band II circuits - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/installation-band-i-and-band-ii-circuits

As above - dado trunking etc. has dividers to keep wiring separate. Although if it's just a piece of mini-trunking with a mains cable and AV cable going to a TV it's not as critical.

Use shielded CAT6 if you are worried about EMI, in a home setup the interference should be minimal unless you are twisting the mains and data cables together like a braid.

I got a lot of help on here when doing my now infamous wall-mounted TV project (see thread if you are really bored!)
Shoved all the data cables in 38mm trunking, and mains in 16mm, and it all works fine with no discernible interference. As SWD said, you'd have to braid it together to cause a problem, unless you have particularly sensitive data cables.

Oh...I knew I could use this pic one day...
TV installation, buried cables, twin back box, knockouts sawn out for a slot to take cables from 38mm trunking...and my new favourite friend...
WP_20180417_12_59_40_Pro[1].jpg
continuous grommet:)

No sign of continuous Wallace yet...

You used that picture last time you were banging on about your telly Pirate

Very kind, DPG...thank you!
I'm off to see that sunset again in 2 weeks...

(Mrs Pirate: " No you're not dear...now just play with your continuous grommet til bedtime, then we'll tuck you in")

(Jabber, the parrot: " W Anchor!")

OOH ARRR me hearties, she doesn't know, but I have my ticket!
Down on the Spanish Main I'll be! 2 weeks from now!
Well, Menorca for a week, anyway...
Nice beer too...

Thank you! I will!
Just had the hardest 3 weeks since I retired...doing up this old building for the Men's Shed charity...and I have to say I have met some brilliant guys from every walk of life.
However, I need some R&R soon, but will never forget today's lesson on how to install a lintel...
Won't bore you, but for those who don't know, I might tell...

Reply to Power and Data, Audio & Visual in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net