Discuss Power behind plasterboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

ScottP89

Hi All,

I'm sure you've had this a few times before, but I've read a few contradicting things in regards to running TV power behind plaster board wall.

I'll be moving into a new build in July and really want a nice clean AV install from the off, so I'm going to run speaker cables behind the wall (which I'm assuming isn't a problem as there isn't much current in there?) and I really want the power for TV behind there too.

From what I've read, it is against regulation to just drill a hole and drop the power cable down to the ground where the power sockets are, however other places I've read that this is OK if it's in a "safe zone". My understanding of a safe zone is within 150mm of the edge of the wall or in line with an existing socket/switch either horizontally or vertically, is this correct?

If so, there is a fused spur socket right below where I want to put my TV (I know I could use this, but if said TV has a hardwired cable, then cutting the plug could invalidate the warranty) which would indicate this is a safe zone to drop the power lead?

I've also read that putting some brush plates in behind the TV and inline at the bottom of the wall would create a safe zone for the cable to run down?

This is my first home so don't really want to be doing anything against any regulations.

Thanks in advance.

Safe zones also include vertical and horizontal runs about the power point...thus the position of the point creates its own safe zone vertically and horizontally.

Cutting off a plug to connect into a fused spur will not invalidate your warranty this is a big myth... your warranty will only be put into question if its found an incorrect or poor connection made after the plug was removed was found to be the cause of the appliance failure.

If you are moving into a new build I'd be asking the builder to run the cables in for you, before tey plaster!

I would but as it's our first home, we aren't 100% of which way round the lounge will go so don't want to be stuck with it round that way.

Cutting off a plug to connect into a fused spur will not invalidate your warranty this is a big myth... your warranty will only be put into question if its found an incorrect or poor connection made after the plug was removed was found to be the cause of the appliance failure.

That makes sense, I have never seen a TV in the past 5 years or so that isn't a standard IEC cable which can be replaced cheaply, but I guess as TVs get thinner power cables will need to as well. It's going to be a new TV as we move in hence not knowing yet :hurray:

Thanks for your replies though Murdoch and Darkwood!

I would but as it's our first home, we aren't 100% of which way round the lounge will go so don't want to be stuck with it round that way.

That makes sense, I have never seen a TV in the past 5 years or so that isn't a standard IEC cable which can be replaced cheaply, but I guess as TVs get thinner power cables will need to as well. It's going to be a new TV as we move in hence not knowing yet :hurray:

Thanks for your replies though Murdoch and Darkwood!

In which case you DO need to get the builder/aerial man to run multiple TV points for you before they plaster!

They are putting aerial points all over the place, which is why I'm only concerned about hiding power at the moment.

What I meant was multiple points in your lounge - adding an extra TV point later could be messy or very visible - which is the last thing you would want in your shiny new home.

I'd also be asking for network points too and if you plan on having Sky, extra phone points!

What I meant was multiple points in your lounge - adding an extra TV point later could be messy or very visible - which is the last thing you would want in your shiny new home.

I'd also be asking for network points too and if you plan on having Sky, extra phone points!

Network points isn't a bad idea, was just going to use the 600mbps powerline adapters though. My media streaming copes OK at the moment on a 100mbps switch and I've just got a gigabit one for the house, planning to VLAN off the media traffic anyway.

Reply to Power behind plasterboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net