Discuss power consumption and heat output question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
i've seen an electric fire advertised very cheaply in a local newspaper (dimplex SP920) and I need one for my living room as the gas fire has not been serviced and 5 years and I'd rather switch to electric as they don't need serviced, one thing that caught my eye is on the tech spec i found online it states

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
  • Radiant and convected heat output of 420 watts
  • Power consumption effect only 300 Watts

[/FONT]I would have thought that if it had any chance of heating a decent sized room then it would be 2000W?
Is this just the price you pay for having an incredibly fancy looking glass fire?
how can the power consumption be less that the power output??!!

Somewhere between 2KW and 4KW (often with 2/3 settings) is the norm. I'm guessing they're only rating the lowest heat generation. Can't find anything other than sales blurb online.

Last edited:
That's a lot of dosh for a glow-in-the-dark lamp - usually these sorts of heaters have a fan heater built in which actually delivers the 2KW you need.

PJ

Your correct PJ, I have the same heater in my lounge. It has a fan heater at the bottom.
Its not really designed to heat a room, more effect and takes the chill off without putting the whole heating system on.
I bought it a couple of years ago and it was a lot more then than now, don't know when i last used it as its more for show than use.
With the cost of leccy now I can't understand anyone wanting to use it for heat.

guess i'll give this one a miss then!

With the cost of leccy now I can't understand anyone wanting to use it for heat.

it won't be the primary source of heat, just to heat the living room sometimes in summer when the central heating is not on. by my reckoning it will be cheaper than the gas fire because it won't need serviced every year, and it's only going to get used once a blue moon anyway. and i can fit it for free.

Reply to power consumption and heat output question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net