Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Just to add to the advice of leaving plenty of SWA cable ends to work with: I would always tape up the ends of any cables (SWA, coax, whatever) to stop water getting in!

Either while handling it and it going in to a muddy puddle, or rain later, or just moisture absorption long-term if the job gets put off for several weeks or cable stored in damp shed, etc.
What on PVC/PVC Tails?

What on PVC/PVC Tails?
Not sure I understand. Was meaning if the cable is waiting to be properly terminated in whatever box, socket, etc, that is its final destination then taping the ends would keep water and any other crap out.

If outdoors and power cables such a box should provide enough protection for liquid water, and those cables are probably OK humidity, etc, in such a case.

For proper coax cables then the connectors should be water tight as fitted. And no, those F-type used for satellite TV are not proper connectors!

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Not sure I understand. Was meaning if the cable is waiting to be properly terminated in whatever box, socket, etc, that is its final destination then taping the ends would keep water and any other crap out.

If outdoors and power cables such a box should provide enough protection for liquid water, and those cables are probably OK humidity, etc, in such a case.

For proper coax cables then the connectors should be water tight as fitted. And no, those F-type used for satellite TV are not proper connectors!
I can understand sealing MICC with sealing compound, but PVC.PVC with tape ludicrous.

I just don't like having water in my electric cables!

Also don't like electricity in my water pipes...

[While tarnishing of copper may not make much difference to AC power, it has a significant effect on the RF losses of coax cable].

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I can understand sealing MICC with sealing compound, but PVC.PVC with tape ludicrous.
DPG a dislike?
Post automatically merged:

Why the dislike Mate, I'm gutted, understand you have your opinions just like to know why you disagree, as I respect your points, and would like to know why.

Last edited:

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
DPG a dislike?
Post automatically merged:

Why the dislike Mate, I'm gutted, understand you have your opinions just like to know why you disagree, as I respect your points, and would like to know why.
Just didn't think it could be classed as ludicrous to want to protect cables from moisture if they maybe are going to be left with the ends exposed for a good while.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Just didn't think it could be classed as ludicrous to want to protect cables from moisture if they maybe are going to be left with the ends exposed for a good while.
OK mate, respect, your input, a difference of opinion, is a helpful debate,

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Took the disagree off. Perhaps it was a bit harsh.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
There have been enough articles about sealing the ends of various cables if they are to be left unterminated and exposed to the elements over the years, surely you must have come across them?

Reply to Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom