Discuss Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nick00

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have two wooden buildings in the garden, one is our summer house and the second is a kids playhouse that has been converted into a rabbit hutch. I'd like power and lighting for the rabbit hutch, taken from the summer house, which has its own consumer unit in it with one spare breaker.

I have bought all of the bits that I think I need, mostly on the advice of an electrician at work but I am a bit unsure how all the parts go together, so here I am.

The plan is to run armoured (2.5mm2, 3 core) cable out of the summer house consumer unit, through the floor of the summer house, underground to the rabbit hutch and in through the wall (high up, where they can't chew anything), into a junction box. The junction box will serve 1) a double socket; 2) a pull cord for a light; and 3) a lantern, mounted on the outside wall of the shed.

Aside from the cable and the clips, I have the following:

1 X junction box
3 X plastic glands
2 X armoured cable brass glands with banjo earth tags and PVC shrouds
1 X lamp holder
1 X pull switch
1 X double socket (plastic)
1 X outside lantern

So, I assumed that the two brass glands would be used: one out of the consumer unit in the summer house and one into the junction box in the hutch. Then the three plastic glands would be used to go from the junction box to:

a) the pull switch for the light
b) the double socket
c) the outside lantern

The consumer unit has its own RCD and the hutch is about 15M away. I'll connect the live of the armoured cable to the spare breaker in The CU and then the E and N will go to the rails.

I could do with some help on wiring this in, and I will draw up a wiring diagram soon. Is this something that you guys would be willing to help me with?

Thanks,
Nick.

P.S. If you think this is beyond a DIYer and don't want to help, just let me know.

Power from Summerhouse to shed DSC00632.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Is there RCD protection in place for this?
What type of cable are you intending to use from the junction box to the accessories?
How are you planning on fusing the lighting.
Banjos don't work with that type of junction box, you need the earthing plates specific to that type of box.
A rabbit hutch implies that it is open to the elements so that socket, switch and pendant would be unsuitable in my opinion, you would need something with a higher IP rating.

Is there RCD protection in place for this?
What type of cable are you intending to use from the junction box to the accessories?
How are you planning on fusing the lighting.
Banjos don't work with that type of junction box, you need the earthing plates specific to that type of box.
A rabbit hutch implies that it is open to the elements so that socket, switch and pendant would be unsuitable in my opinion, you would need something with a higher IP rating.
Hello Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is an RCD on the consumer unit itself, I'll be using 2.5mm 3 core to the accessories and I would need some advice on fusing the lighting. Is the earthing bar one of these? If so, I will get one - or could I just use a metal junction box instead?

The hutch is actually a converted child's playhouse, so more like a shed. The junction box and all acessories (apart from the outside light) will be inside and not exposed to the elements.

Ta,
Nick.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is an RCD on the consumer unit itself, I'll be using 2.5mm 3 core to the accessories and I would need some advice on fusing the lighting. Is the earthing bar one of these? If so, I will get one - or could I just use a metal junction box instead?

The hutch is actually a converted child's playhouse, so more like a shed. The junction box and all acessories (apart from the outside light) will be inside and not exposed to the elements.

Ta,
Nick.

But what type of cable? If you intend to use the armoured cable for everything then you will need armoured cable glands not stuffing glands, you will need a metal socket not plastic and metal boxes to mount the pull switch and light onto.
Yes the EC308 is the correct earthing plate for that box. A metal box is an alternative and the banjos could be used with that but personally I would use earthing nuts.

What size and type of circuit breaker will be protecting the new circuit?

Hi @nick00. I think this is too much of an ask for a DIY’er.

And IMO this would be classed as a new circuit, and dependant on where you live in the UK, notifiable to a LBC.
Yes, I understand that is correct and I am looking into that to see how to do it and how much it will cost. Cheers. ?

Yes, I understand that is correct and I am looking into that to see how to do it and how much it will cost. Cheers. ?

To notify it to LABC you would normally need to demonstrate your competence to carry out electrical work and also give them a copy of the electrical installation certificate you complete at the end of the job.

Or tell you LBC, who’ll send round a sparks to test when your done, £400+vat, or Third Party Certification (no idea of the fees involved). Or just employ a sparks in a Scheme to do it for you.

But what type of cable? If you intend to use the armoured cable for everything then you will need armoured cable glands not stuffing glands, you will need a metal socket not plastic and metal boxes to mount the pull switch and light onto.
Yes the EC308 is the correct earthing plate for that box. A metal box is an alternative and the banjos could be used with that but personally I would use earthing nuts.

What size and type of circuit breaker will be protecting the new circuit?
Thanks again,

Its just standard 3 core cable or I have some 2.5mm twin and earth. I can get a metal box for the socket if needs be. Thanks for the advice on the junction box.

Pic of the consumer unit attached for you. I'll be taking the live off of the green X'd one.

Thanks,
Nick.
Power from Summerhouse to shed cu.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Have you got an MFT and the knowledge to test this installation? The local building control will want to see an installation certificate with results.

To notify it to LABC you would normally need to demonstrate your competence to carry out electrical work and also give them a copy of the electrical installation certificate you complete at the end of the job.
That doesn't sound good.
Or tell you LBC, who’ll send round a sparks to test when your done, £400+vat, or Third Party Certification (no idea of the fees involved). Or just employ a sparks in a Scheme to do it for you.
Might actually just employ a sparks to do the job then. £400 is a bit eyewatering.
[automerge]1584898249[/automerge]
Have you got an MFT and the knowledge to test this installation? The local building control will want to see an installation certificate with results.
None of that I am afraid.

I think you would wise to get a sparky in to be honest. Its probably a bit beyond DIY.

OK, thanks - that might be the way to go then. Shame really as I would have liked to have given it a go. Thanks alot to everyone for the help and advice though.

Good to see someone taking an interest. Nothing stopping you having a try at terminating the armoured cable into a gland.

OK, thanks - that might be the way to go then. Shame really as I would have liked to have given it a go. Thanks alot to everyone for the help and advice though.

Electricity isn't really a sensible thing to 'have a go at' as getting it wrong can easily start a fire, cause you serious injury or even death.

Statistically a tiny number of DIYers die from their having a go at electrics, but would you like to be person who contributes to that statistic?

I’m a member of another forum, nought to do with electricians. I read regular posts about doing electrical work in members own homes. One recently, where guy wanted to run a supply to his own shed, to include some machines. Gave him similar advice to you, albeit he was going to install and get ‘an electrician in to sign off’. I got criticised for my advice. I don’t know what it is about electrics, but some say it’s only dragging in some wires etc.

For what it’s worth, I’m an electrician, but no longer have the latest accreditation, having closed my business. I will need some electrical work done that will need notifying to LBC.

I’ll be getting in an electrician :)

Hello all,

I have two wooden buildings in the garden, one is our summer house and the second is a kids playhouse that has been converted into a rabbit hutch. I'd like power and lighting for the rabbit hutch, taken from the summer house, which has its own consumer unit in it with one spare breaker.

I have bought all of the bits that I think I need, mostly on the advice of an electrician at work but I am a bit unsure how all the parts go together, so here I am.

The plan is to run armoured (2.5mm2, 3 core) cable out of the summer house consumer unit, through the floor of the summer house, underground to the rabbit hutch and in through the wall (high up, where they can't chew anything), into a junction box. The junction box will serve 1) a double socket; 2) a pull cord for a light; and 3) a lantern, mounted on the outside wall of the shed.

Aside from the cable and the clips, I have the following:

1 X junction box
3 X plastic glands
2 X armoured cable brass glands with banjo earth tags and PVC shrouds
1 X lamp holder
1 X pull switch
1 X double socket (plastic)
1 X outside lantern

So, I assumed that the two brass glands would be used: one out of the consumer unit in the summer house and one into the junction box in the hutch. Then the three plastic glands would be used to go from the junction box to:

a) the pull switch for the light
b) the double socket
c) the outside lantern

The consumer unit has its own RCD and the hutch is about 15M away. I'll connect the live of the armoured cable to the spare breaker in The CU and then the E and N will go to the rails.

I could do with some help on wiring this in, and I will draw up a wiring diagram soon. Is this something that you guys would be willing to help me with?

Thanks,
Nick.

P.S. If you think this is beyond a DIYer and don't want to help, just let me know.

View attachment 56504
What about the FCU for the lighting point? Perhaps your friendly Electrician had a brain fert, plus some wiring for the socket and lighting inside and the outside lantern

Reply to Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock