Discuss Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Okay, thank you all again. I think to reduce costs, I will run the armoured cable into both buildings, clip it in place and fix all of the necessary boxes, switches and lights and then get a professional in to join everything up.

Anyone have any idea how much it would be? Ballpark or from to would be good.

Cheers,
Nick.

Okay, thank you all again. I think to reduce costs, I will run the armoured cable into both buildings, clip it in place and fix all of the necessary boxes, switches and lights and then get a professional in to join everything up.

Cheers,
Nick.
good luck with that idea Nick

Cheers,
Nick.

don't cut the cable off too short if you are pre-installing it, you don't want to have to replace it all because you cut it too short.
And leave the last few cleats off of the armoured so that the electrician can actually move the cable to terminate it properly, otherwise they will be removing the cleats you have fitted to try to save time on the job.

don't cut the cable off too short if you are pre-installing it, you don't want to have to replace it all because you cut it too short.
And leave the last few cleats off of the armoured so that the electrician can actually move the cable to terminate it properly, otherwise they will be removing the cleats you have fitted to try to save time on the job.
Thanks, yes - that's what I'll do, I've got about 5 metres more than I need. It should save lots of time for the electrician and more importantly it will give me something to keep occupied with.

Thanks, yes - that's what I'll do, I've got about 5 metres more than I need. It should save lots of time for the electrician and more importantly it will give me something to keep occupied with.

Don't underestimate how quickly an electrician can install cable compared to you, most would ask you to dig the trench for them anyway as nobody wants to do that bit.

Get an electrician on board before you start though, they will want to make sure that the cable route is suitable and that the trench is deep enough and correctly backfilled.

Subject to you persuading an Electrician, to come and finish off and test someone else's work.

Subject to you persuading an Electrician, to come and finish off and test someone else's work.

I don't think many of us have an issue with a customer digging their own trench and putting the armoured in it along with clipping it, subject of course to discussing it beforehand.

and of course the current shortage of work may have a bearing.

Digging a trench for the cable is the hard physical work part, obviously!

Not sure what folk would advise on the depth for a garden, best to speak to whoever is going to finish and sign-off on the work. Usually it would need to be at least 45cm deep, but maybe more if there is any chance of someone wanting to put in a washing dryer thing, etc, in that area that might go deeper. Best practice is to put some "warning buried electrical cables" tape over the first covering of sand/soil so anyone digging in the future sees that first, but for a garden with it between two known and obvious point that might not be needed. Any comments?

If the ground has lots of sharp stones, etc, that could possibly damage the cable over time and settlement you might need to put several cm of sand below/around/above the cable, but just look at the soil when you dig a bit up and see.

Just to add to the advice of leaving plenty of SWA cable ends to work with: I would always tape up the ends of any cables (SWA, coax, whatever) to stop water getting in!

Either while handling it and it going in to a muddy puddle, or rain later, or just moisture absorption long-term if the job gets put off for several weeks or cable stored in damp shed, etc.

Just to add to the advice of leaving plenty of SWA cable ends to work with: I would always tape up the ends of any cables (SWA, coax, whatever) to stop water getting in!

Either while handling it and it going in to a muddy puddle, or rain later, or just moisture absorption long-term if the job gets put off for several weeks or cable stored in damp shed, etc.
What on PVC/PVC Tails?

What on PVC/PVC Tails?

Not sure I understand. Was meaning if the cable is waiting to be properly terminated in whatever box, socket, etc, that is its final destination then taping the ends would keep water and any other crap out.

If outdoors and power cables such a box should provide enough protection for liquid water, and those cables are probably OK humidity, etc, in such a case.

For proper coax cables then the connectors should be water tight as fitted. And no, those F-type used for satellite TV are not proper connectors!

Not sure I understand. Was meaning if the cable is waiting to be properly terminated in whatever box, socket, etc, that is its final destination then taping the ends would keep water and any other crap out.

If outdoors and power cables such a box should provide enough protection for liquid water, and those cables are probably OK humidity, etc, in such a case.

For proper coax cables then the connectors should be water tight as fitted. And no, those F-type used for satellite TV are not proper connectors!
I can understand sealing MICC with sealing compound, but PVC.PVC with tape ludicrous.

I just don't like having water in my electric cables!

Also don't like electricity in my water pipes...

[While tarnishing of copper may not make much difference to AC power, it has a significant effect on the RF losses of coax cable].

I can understand sealing MICC with sealing compound, but PVC.PVC with tape ludicrous.
DPG a dislike?
[automerge]1585059454[/automerge]
Why the dislike Mate, I'm gutted, understand you have your opinions just like to know why you disagree, as I respect your points, and would like to know why.

Last edited:
DPG a dislike?
[automerge]1585059454[/automerge]

Why the dislike Mate, I'm gutted, understand you have your opinions just like to know why you disagree, as I respect your points, and would like to know why.

Just didn't think it could be classed as ludicrous to want to protect cables from moisture if they maybe are going to be left with the ends exposed for a good while.

Just didn't think it could be classed as ludicrous to want to protect cables from moisture if they maybe are going to be left with the ends exposed for a good while.
OK mate, respect, your input, a difference of opinion, is a helpful debate,

Took the disagree off. Perhaps it was a bit harsh.

There have been enough articles about sealing the ends of various cables if they are to be left unterminated and exposed to the elements over the years, surely you must have come across them?

Reply to Power from Summerhouse to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock