Discuss Power LED string lights with base socket adapter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Therow

DIY
Reaction score
Hello forums,

Total novice here! I want to make sure I'm doing the right and safe thing when installing outdoor string lights. The specifications to these lights are included here:
unknown.png

The issue I am having is how do I power them? I would like to be able to flick the backyard patio switch to turn the string lights on but I'm not sure how to do this. Would a socket adapter be safe and sufficient? The current lighting for the backyard patio are two flood lights and my DIY brain 'thinks' that a socket adapter like the one linked here from ACE hardware would get the job done but this adapter in particular doesn't mention anything about being rated for damp, wet, or outdoor areas nor am I knowledgeable enough to determine whether the string lights would be sufficiently powered.

Thoughts? Guidance? Any help here is appreciated.

Side note; the Jurisdiction is in Santa Clara County of California if anyone knows the electrical ordinances off the top of their head or where I might look to make sure this DIY project is above board.

Hello forums,

Total novice here! I want to make sure I'm doing the right and safe thing when installing outdoor string lights. The specifications to these lights are included here:
unknown.png

The issue I am having is how do I power them? I would like to be able to flick the backyard patio switch to turn the string lights on but I'm not sure how to do this. Would a socket adapter be safe and sufficient? The current lighting for the backyard patio are two flood lights and my DIY brain 'thinks' that a socket adapter like the one linked here from ACE hardware would get the job done but this adapter in particular doesn't mention anything about being rated for damp, wet, or outdoor areas nor am I knowledgeable enough to determine whether the string lights would be sufficiently powered.

Thoughts? Guidance? Any help here is appreciated.

Side note; the Jurisdiction is in Santa Clara County of California if anyone knows the electrical ordinances off the top of their head or where I might look to make sure this DIY project is above board.
Yes that adaptor would work but it doesn’t have a ground and Your string lights require a ground wire. I doubt it is approved for outdoor use. See if ACE has a different style. Be careful California has very strict stipulations on electrical work

Reply to Power LED string lights with base socket adapter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net