Discuss Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-W Laptop Comms in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Matt_M

Hi,

I am trying to load a Power Curve into a Power One Aurora wind inverter; this is not something I have done before.

I am struggling to get my laptop to talk to the inverter, in that I can't get it to connect to the inverter!

PowerOne recommend the use of one of these: Power-One Control Unit PVI-USB-RS485 - Saving Energy Online - a Power-One Control Unit PVI-USB-RS485 232 Boot Loader.

So i guess my question is, has anybody connected a laptop to a PowerOne inverter and used the Installer app to program settings? How did you do it?

Does anyone have a Control Unit i can borrow or rent?

Many thanks,

Matt

you will need one of the power one units due to the communication protocols used by the inverter, these will be different to those used by IT equipment, which is why an interface unit(converter) is "conveniently" available for sale.....there's a lot of money in solar which is why they never gave very much hardware direct like for like connectivity to home network kit or standard USB without buying add-ons and "extras"

I have had no trouble communicating with a PVI-3.6-OUTD with both the Commincator and Installer SW products. Have not tried changing any settings though!

I used the installer app with mine using a std usb cable without problems. You will need passwords to get into different parts of the app though. If Powerone didn't give you the passwords you can find them through google in a thread on an australian solar forum.

If you just want to use a usb to rs485 convertor to connect to a laptop you don't need the powerone version. I used a cheap ebay 'prolific' convertor and it works fine. item number: 120971473473

Most FTDLI chip rs485/usb converters work fine , well that is what they have used in the powerone converter.......... mine cost £16 off ebay, have programmed the 3.6outduks and even trio 27.6 inverters with them so am fairly happy with the results.

The built in usb connector on the 3.6outduk does work with the right drivers but you may find it a bit erratic for longterm monitoring of the inverters, P1 doesn't recommend its use for monitoring..

I used the installer app with mine using a std usb cable without problems. You will need passwords to get into different parts of the app though. If Powerone didn't give you the passwords you can find them through google in a thread on an australian solar forum.

If you just want to use a usb to rs485 convertor to connect to a laptop you don't need the powerone version. I used a cheap ebay 'prolific' convertor and it works fine. item number: 120971473473

Reply to Power One Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-W Laptop Comms in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock