Discuss Power outage to kitchen area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rajen

-
Reaction score
Hi,

The power supply to part of the kitchen has gone. This includes fridge, cooker, fan extractor, dishwasher and some power sockets to the kitchen worktop. Rest of power sockets in the kitchen have power and rest of the house is ok.

The switch for "Cooker" in the RCD was in the up position. I've moved it into the down position and back up but this hasn't fixed it. Also, tried to replace all fuses in the switches for box with diswasher, fridge, ... but no luck

Does RCD switch for the Cooker need changing or is this a job for an electrician ? Is there else I can do to find the cause.
Photo of RCD, fuse switch box and red switch near to cook.

Attachments

• Power outage to kitchen area 20201027_123539 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201027_123539.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Power outage to kitchen area 20201027_123846 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201027_123846.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Power outage to kitchen area 20201027_123853 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201027_123853.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 19
afraid a call to a local spark is your way forward. post your location. one of us may be close.

Hi Rajen
From what I can ascertain from your description of the problem, it looks like one of RCDs has tripped taking out the supplies to the MCBs served by that particular RCD.
This could be a wiring fault. or more than likely a faulty appliance, unplug all the appliances on the circuits, affected, and reset the RCD, if it stays on then the problem is in one of the appliances, plug the appliances back in one at a time until the RCD trips out, if not then unfortunately it looks like you have a wiring fault, and will need the help of an Electrician to locate and repair the fault, as Teletrix has mentioned.

Hi Rajen
From what I can ascertain from your description of the problem, it looks like one of RCDs has tripped taking out the supplies to the MCBs served by that particular RCD.
This could be a wiring fault. or more than likely a faulty appliance, unplug all the appliances on the circuits, affected, and reset the RCD, if it stays on then the problem is in one of the appliances, plug the appliances back in one at a time until the RCD trips out, if not then unfortunately it looks like you have a wiring fault, and will need the help of an Electrician to locate and repair the fault, as Teletrix has mentioned.
Thanks - silly questions... how do I reset the RCD? I noticed there is a middle button in the off position. Is meant to be in that position ?

Thanks - silly questions... how do I reset the RCD? I noticed there is a middle button in the off position. Is meant to be in that position ?
Reset the RCD as you would an MCB by switching it back on. No it's meant to be in the ON position.

Where are you situated? PM me with your Post code if it's not to far I could help for the price of the fuel used. my experience you can have for free.

Nice one Pete, you've fixed it without even getting the tools out!
Not really rocket science for the electrically knowledgeable, un fathomable but for the uninitiated the simplest things can be unfathomable, not the OPs fault, just simple for a Spark, but thanks for your comment anyway, sometimes a quick think can avoid scattering screwdrivers about, but I do love my screwdrivers, don't like getting them out, they are fine where they are safe and sound in my tool bag, only get em out every now and then, my screwdrivers that is.

Not really rocket science for the electrically knowledgeable, un fathomable but for the uninitiated the simplest things can be unfathomable, not the OPs fault, just simple for a Spark, but thanks for your comment anyway, sometimes a quick think can avoid scattering screwdrivers about, but I do love my screwdrivers, don't like getting them out, they are fine where they are safe and sound in my tool bag, only get em out every now and then, my screwdrivers that is.
once a tool tart, always a tool tart. instead of crossed swords on your coffint there will be crossed Weras.smiley.

i ave both, wiha and wera. ner ner.
best ones I have I borrowed from work about 5 years ago ITL is the make insulated tools limited. expensive, well no to me they were FOC forgot to hand em back, reckon they will miss them???

Reply to Power outage to kitchen area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock