Discuss Power quality HF noise bursts 2vp-p in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

UKMeterman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a megger power disturbance analyser in a collegues house, it is showning HF noise bursts of up to 2vp-p at about 5 to 10 times a min. What are the normal causes of these? The mains voltage is in spec.
Thanks

Most likely originating from a switched mode power supply in a computer, TV or other audio/visual equipment. Some modern white goods also using SMPS now. What's the frequency of the individual HF burst? If its >20KHz then suspect SMPS as the source. This is assuming you don't have any high power radio, TV or radar transmitters (particularly military/RN/RAF) close to the house, or a radio HAM or illegal CB in close proximity.
Sweeping the rooms with a detuned MW radio may be a quick way of locating the offending source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thanks for that, the analyser in question is the PDA1 of 1989 vintage and so only states there has been a HF noise event no frequency display or anything else, all the events get printed on a till roll. The house is about 6 miles from Brize Norton and 3 miles from Oxford Airport. I have suggested trying outlets on different circuits and turning the other final circuits off.

Reply to Power quality HF noise bursts 2vp-p in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi - On our small vessel we have a 12v failry powerful motor to run the autopilot, where the power is supplied by the boat's battery bank. On an...
Replies
Views
Hello, Not an electrician and I currently live in an apartment building. Over the past few years I have been having abnormal problems with my...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place but this is my first time using this forum. I'm also sorry if i make some mistakes but I'm new to this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have an old Country villa in Spain. The housing electrics were not good so the house recently has been completely re-wired to a good...
Replies
Views
Hi, after a bit of advice. Have tried a lot of plumbing and electrical shops but no one seems able to help. I have an Isolator/PSU 230v/12v. It is...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock