Discuss Power Shower cable requirements advice needed please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nomiracle

This is my first post in these forums and I hope that someone can help me

My power shower has packed up and I ideally want to fit an electric one instead, I can do all the plumbing no problem but I've looked at the wiring and what I've got is: 2.5mm twin and earth coming from the shower in to the loft, back down to my airing cupboard into a 'Legrand' 40A/30mA (RCD i think or could be RCD/MCB but doesn't say it on it) then into what looks like a normal 230v lightswitch then I presume it goes to my 'old style' fuse box as it dissapears away again into the loft but in the direction of my integral garage which houses the fuse box.

Electrics aren't my thing but I do know that for an electric shower I'd need at least 10mm cable to the fuse box (and of course a double pole 40A ceiling switch between the shower and the 'MCB') Am I correct with this or is it possible to use a low Kw output electric shower with this setup? On the other hand I'm not sure what output the current power shower is although I know it's a very small one (Bristan Cascade) but was the wiring suitable for that one and if so could I just replace like for like?

I'm trying to do this within a small budget and yes I know you've heard that before! But I won't do anything if there's a risk and so thats why I thought I'd beg for a couple of minutes of someones time!

I'd actually gone this morning to buy a shower that was on offer one day only but thought I better re-check the wiring when all of this alerted me, I'm absolutely gutted as I start a new job on Tuesday that requires me to start at short notice in the middle of the night and so really need a working shower.

Please could anybody help dig me out of this hole?

Thank you.

t o be honest, i would change like for like. the installation of an instantaneous shower is notifiable to building control, you would need an RCD, 6mm or 10mm cable on a dedicated circuit, with a 45A switch. on top of the cost of the shower, you would be looking to pay an electrician in the region of £200, +/- depending on cable size and run.

Agree if you want an electric shower take telectrix advice and if time is very tight you can always fit the push on rubber one that connects to your bath taps just as a temp measure untill you can get the electric on fitted ! or as said replace like for like. Nothing wrong with buying the electric one so you have it for fitting.

Thanks both of you for your helpful advice, do you think the original wiring was a bodge job then or do you think I'm safe to change like for like? Also I'm under the assumption that power showers draw less power and so do you think I could shop around for virtually any power shower?

Hello and welcome also !
just as a quick idea you can always put your area on here and im sure a local member might be able to take a look before you get the electric shower as it mabe cheaper to replace like for like or fit new shower without seeing it we don't know.
Good luck !

Thanks Kung, yes I'm in Keelby, near Grimsby Lincolnshire and yes it'd be great if somebody local could let me know which way to go. Thanks again.

as regards power, the power shower is only a pump and should be fused at 3A. no problem coming off the socket circuit. whereas the instantaneous shower draws in the region of 40A ( because it has a heater). that's why you would need a much larger cable.

Thanks both of you for your helpful advice, do you think the original wiring was a bodge job then or do you think I'm safe to change like for like? Also I'm under the assumption that power showers draw less power and so do you think I could shop around for virtually any power shower?

Doesn't sound likme a bodge at all, seems to be on it's own circuit with a 30mA RCD in line also. Power showers draw very little current as the only thing drawing power is the pump itself so the current arrangement with the 2.5mm cable etc sounds fine.

Electric showers as you are aware, draw a lot more current as they heat the water also as they don't utilise a hot water feed like a power shower does. TBH with the existing hot & cold water feeds I would be inclined to source a replacement power shower. No real plumbing alterations needed then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas, thats exactly what I needed to hear! Its put the whole shower thing into perspective and explains why I have this set up. Yes I think I'm going to buy another power shower today.
Thanks again and I'll certainly be using this forum regularly after everybody being so obliging!
Regards;
Mark

On the basis that gas works out cheaper than electricity go with replacing the power pump. But get someone to check it out first, don’t go replacing something when it’s just a blown fuse.

Thanks tony, no it definately burned out and I've priced a pump at £100 whereas the power shower itself is £70 new. My only problem is getting hold of a power shower off the shelf without paying £200+. I can't find one!
Thanks again.

i,d buy a new pump. no mods. to electrics or plumbing needed.

Reply to Power Shower cable requirements advice needed please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net